Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000 16-GB Kit Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

exroofer

Distinguished
Your benchmarks compare the DDR4 ram to other DDR4 ram.
Is there a way for you to give us any kind of number comparing it to fast DDR3 CL9 ram? I know you can't do apples to apples benchmarking, but some idea of the performance increase, if any. would be more helpful I would think.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Due to the different CPU, the only thing you can really compare to DDR3 articles is Sandra Memory Bandwidth. It's lower for DDR4, even when set to similar timings at the same frequencies. This is mostly due to longer secondary and tertiary timings, it appears, and will only be solved as DDR4 continues to get faster and lower-latency versions.

TerryFawkes

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Again, DDR3 to DDR4 gaming comparison is what everybody wants.

Fudge the CPUs then (down-clock if needed), get as similar CPUs as possible, or use two high end CPUs that make the two systems GPU bound hence making the difference in CPUs irrelevant.

I'm beginning to get this feeling that there is no performance improvement between DDR3 and DDR4, and that there might even be a performance decrease in DDR4 when it comes to gaming because of the crappy DDR4 latency. And I think that because of this, sites that receive a DDR4 sample to test are told not to test against DDR3 (or no sample for you!)

Sooner or later, somebody will do this test, and we'll then learn the [UGLY] truth which the ddr4 manufacturers don't want us to know.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
too many factors to consider (whether the inner slots will be filled, how close the closest-filled slot is, etc. But for huge coolers that overlap the DIMMs, no.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
It's amazing to see how fast these things became. I'm still using a PC with DDR 516 that gets only to about 2.3 GB/s. I think my head will blow when I finally buy a new PC.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
@The X99 platform is already pretty expensive. Does a 16GB quad-channel kit of DDR4-3000 memory really need to cost more than $400?

No. Superfluous. Period.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Both are now below $350 :)

RElectrons

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
So we should not spend megabucks on DDR4, buy instead go for more channels of RAM.

Can anyone beat my 6 channels of eBay surplus DDR3 ECC with their fancy 4-channel RAM kit?

RElectrons

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Sorry about that...I was reaching over my KB for my mouse so I could ask CPU-Z for my memory timings, and somehow submitted my comment.

I meant to ask:

Can anyone beat my 6 channels of eBay surplus DDR3 ECC 1066MHz, CAS 7 (in my ancient Dell Precision T7500) with their fancy DDR4 RAM? Anyone?

MY conclusion is that, we should look at the number of channels, and ignore the allegedly low-CAS stuff.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I've never seen a 6-channel memory controller. Ever. Even in multi-CPU systems that have two 3-channel controllers, which still do not make a six-channel controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.