Review Kingston NV2 SSD Review: Cheap But Risky

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 17, 2024
The Kingston NV2 is total Garbage.
I used it as the Second Drive for Games, didn't filled it up all the way, only 700 GB was written to it in Total and it Failed after 7 Month.

The SSD started to have 100% utilization while the Speed was approximately 3 byte/s and newer calmed down and caused the PC to be unable to reboot/shutdown and made the entire PC stutter.

I was unable to Backup all Data because of this issue.
Kingston replaced the faulty NV2 but I'm not going to risk it again and certainly not going to install a third drive to back up the NV2.

I bought the Lexar NM790 and try my luck with this one which is way faster ( 7100 Mbits / 6495 Mbits) and is as Cheap in price as the Kingston NV2 and doesn't get as Hot which might me more reliable.

Mar 1, 2024
Completely agree with the 2 star rating of this SSD in the review for the reasons below.

The 500GB version of this SSD (Kingston NV2S500G) came stock in my new mini computer I got in April 2023. I had budgeted for a larger drive and planned to replace it as soon as I finished stress testing and benchmarking the new system. I can say the SSD benchmarked ok in that setting, but I knew I there were better, faster and larger SSDs out there.

A week later I replaced it with a much faster SK Hynix P41, tossing the Kingston back in the mini PCs box in case I needed to return it. I immediately noticed that the mini PCs fan no longer came on as quickly during SSD benchmarking/stress testing.

A few months later I was testing one of those new Jeyi USB4 NVME SSD enclosures when I thought "Hmm I have that Kingston PCIe 4.0 SSD just sitting there." Why not test it?

But the Kingston NV2S500G actually performed worse than an old PCIe 3.0 Sabrent Rocket in the enclosure. While read speeds were fine, write speeds were abysmal--less than half what the Rocket delivered despite its being limited to half the nominal transfer speed of the Kingston due to the older gen PCIe.

More importantly, the Kingston SSD was a furnace. And once temps went up, they would not go down. I had to disconnect the drive to get it to cool down.

There may be applications where this works acceptably (eg in a desktop with good cooling), but I would never recommend buying this model SSD. Spend more few more bucks and get a better drive.

TRENDING THREADS