Info Kingston SATAFIRM S11 fix(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this helps to anyone (probably) as ive fixed used Kingston SA400 model via this software.
The problem might lie down with the controller itself, for me it works for now, the ssd did not have any working hours at all.
The program is simple, run it as admin, choose the malfunction ssd and hopefully it will fix it.
Worked only for my model.
C3-FCD41-D-A420-415-B-B60-E-A8-EA5-F15-D71-D.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1irsjAzhxf9VTr24MkPfqvz7b1dhmQ98O/view

Nov 22, 2019
Hope this helps to anyone (probably) as ive fixed used Kingston SA400 model via this software.
The problem might lie down with the controller itself, for me it works for now, the ssd did not have any working hours at all.
The program is simple, run it as admin, choose the malfunction ssd and hopefully it will fix it.
Worked only for my model.
C3-FCD41-D-A420-415-B-B60-E-A8-EA5-F15-D71-D.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1irsjAzhxf9VTr24MkPfqvz7b1dhmQ98O/view
Master, Sensei, Guru, How long does this usually take? After hitting Y then enter, it seems my entire system froze :( Needed to long press power to restart.. Please answer?

Dec 10, 2019
dosen't work for me

Phison S11 SSD repair from protect mode utility v0.111a by vlo
Use: repairS11 drive_num[y]
y - disable any requests to user

0: (WDC WD5000AAKX-00U6AA0
1: (ST500DM002-1BD142
2: (SATAFIRM S11
Please select drive number:2

Drive: 2(ATA)
Model:
Fw :
Size : 0 MB
ATA: ReadInfoBlock failed! Error: 0x21
Press any key to exit

Reactions: RememberThe5th
Jan 4, 2020
Hi there, just registered to say thank you for the possible solution, haven't tried myself and don´t want to try until some questions, as my data is more valuable than the SSD itself, so my question is for those who sucefully recovered the drive, is the data still ok?

Hello, I have a Kingston A400 240GB [SA400S37/240G, native firmware on label: SBFK71B1] with the infamous SATAFIRM S11 problem, happened last week after 1,5 years of usage. I have backups of my data, so what I am looking for is to restore the health of the drive in order to keep using it; I don't care if the data is wiped in the process: I am prepared to reinstall the OS.

I have tried running repairS11 utility by vlo (vlo.name): when using a SATA-to-USB adapter phison_flash_id detects PS3108 Controller so the repair utility refuses to run; when using built-in SATA port on my Laptop (AHCI mode set in BIOS) the detected Controller is PS3111, the repair utility ends correctly with a success message, but the problem remains. What else can I do?

By any chance has anyone tried using PhisonToolBox v1.17 by usbdev.ru? By all means I just want to exit from 'Safe Mode' state, restore 'Ready' state of the drive and just reinstall my operating system over it, I do not care about the data because I have backups.

Another user claimed he restored the same drive model using SBFKB1C3.zip (media.kingston.com) and s11-flasher 2.0 (vlo.name). Does this actually give a new life to the SSD (even if it erases the data) and will it void the remaining warranty of the unit?

Jan 23, 2020
Hello, I have a Kingston A400 240GB [SA400S37/240G, native firmware on label: SBFK71B1] with the infamous SATAFIRM S11 problem, happened last week after 1,5 years of usage. I have backups of my data, so what I am looking for is to restore the health of the drive in order to keep using it; I don't care if the data is wiped in the process: I am prepared to reinstall the OS.

I have tried running repairS11 utility by vlo (vlo.name): when using a SATA-to-USB adapter phison_flash_id detects PS3108 Controller so the repair utility refuses to run; when using built-in SATA port on my Laptop (AHCI mode set in BIOS) the detected Controller is PS3111, the repair utility ends correctly with a success message, but the problem remains. What else can I do?

By any chance has anyone tried using PhisonToolBox v1.17 by usbdev.ru? By all means I just want to exit from 'Safe Mode' state, restore 'Ready' state of the drive and just reinstall my operating system over it, I do not care about the data because I have backups.

Another user claimed he restored the same drive model using SBFKB1C3.zip (media.kingston.com) and s11-flasher 2.0 (vlo.name). Does this actually give a new life to the SSD (even if it erases the data) and will it void the remaining warranty of the unit?

Here is how i got it fixedup , for some reason Windows 10 broke the drive i formated it under Linux and it started showing 120gb statafirm. i downloaded Phison S11 firmware flasher v2 and Phison S12 flash id
from here http://vlo.name:3000/ssdtool/ and the firmwares from here http://www.usbdev.ru/?wpfb_dl=6583 .
You need flasher id to check your firmwarevarsion and the memory if it is micron or toshiba.
When you see them you can unzip the fw zip find yours name it fw.bin and put it in the same directory as Phison S11 flasher , run 1 of the 2 bin files toshiba or micron depending on your memory , it will make fw.exe to be able to run now .
Run it update the firmware , restart the pc and you shoud be able to see your ssd again
mine was kingston A400 120g

Jan 24, 2020
So i tried different versions of the s11 flasher and once it said it worked, but after restarting the pc the problem occured again.
Then I tried the way skywyw wrote, i tried the s12 flash id and this is what happened:

Code:
v0.11a
Drive: 1(ATA)
Model: SATAFIRM   S11                       
Fw   : SBFK71W1
Size : 228936 MB
ATA: ReadF4 failed, Error: 0x51!
ATA: S12Cmd[1][80] - Write failed, Error: 0x51!
Phison PS3112 not detected - Exit!

EDIT: The SSD as well can´t be found by the Kingston SSD Manager.

popatim

Titan

It has a 3 yr warranty. I'd suggest taking advantage of it.

Yes, I have posted in other forums and vlo himself told me (by looking at the phison_flash_id.txt file) that the "number of defects" on my drive is already at the limit for a 240GB SSD (he refers to "Defects All (per plane) Early Later" inside the file); so I guess in the end I will hand it over. Still, has anyone tried Secure Erase, maybe through Linux? It is said to have worked some times.

Jul 25, 2019
dosen't work for me

Phison S11 SSD repair from protect mode utility v0.111a by vlo
Use: repairS11 drive_num[y]
y - disable any requests to user

0: (WDC WD5000AAKX-00U6AA0
1: (ST500DM002-1BD142
2: (SATAFIRM S11
Please select drive number:2

Drive: 2(ATA)
Model:
Fw :
Size : 0 MB
ATA: ReadInfoBlock failed! Error: 0x21
Press any key to exit
Same problem, Any chance you got it working?

@toyotavan I am not sure if this is a solution to your specific error with the repair utility, and let me tell you upfront that I got a new replacement unit free of charge by Kingston's RMA Team without even needing to ship my defective unit.

That being said, after 3 months somebody on a Brazilian Forum has found a working solution for this problem. [source]

I also took this SATAFIRM S11 BO with Kingston SA400S37. I had that in two at once, one 120gb and another 240gb. In both I tried to use the programs that are available on the sites mentioned by members above, I tried all the way ... It didn't work ... I managed to solve it as follows ...

Note: It is recommended to do the procedure on windows installed in AHCI mode! You MUST perform the procedure with the SSD plugged into a SATA connection, in USB mode it will not work!

1 - Download these two files, one of the files has all the firmware available on the usbdev website, the other file is a program to generate the executable that will make the update:
* s11-flasher - http://vlo.name:3000/tmph/s11-flasher.rar
* firmware_ps3111 - http://http//www.usbdev.ru/?wpfb_dl=6583

2 - Extract the folders.
3 - Inside the "firmware_ps3111" folder, search for the firmware corresponding to your SSD or the closest one you have, copy this file and paste it in the "s11-flasher" folder, then you must rename the firmware to (fw.BIN). [for example if the label on the SSD reads "SBFK71B1", then the firmware that you must pick is "SBFK71F1"]

4 - Run "s11-flasher2-micron.cmd" WIHTOUT administrator privileges: it will generate the executable fw.exe.
5 - You can connect the SSD directly inside the Laptop, perhaps through the CD bay or another SATA free interface. It is not recommended to try Hirens Boot but you can try; remember that AHCI must be enabled in the BIOS. It is also strongly not recommended to use SATA to USB adaptors because the procedure may fail: use a SATA interface.

6 - Run the file fw.exe (this one WITH administrator privileges) and it will write the firmware on the SSD, so you have to select the device that is marked as SATAFIRM S11, click on Upgrade Firmware and wait ... It is recommended before doing this step that all applications are closed and the Antivirus is turned off.

7 - When finished, you must perform a power cycle of the SSD ("disconnect SATA power cable only, not data"), wait 5 seconds and turn it on again (this with the PC turned on), after turning on the SSD, restart the computer to recognize the SSD.
8 - Go to Disk Management, probably opening this part of Computer Management will already ask you to inizialize the disk, click to inizialize it and after that, create the partition in the desired format.

If you need help I did a video trying to explain too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgy6VNC9fcw

Reactions: BlackKbero
Jul 25, 2019
Thanks! That's the closest I've come to fixing that drive. I don't think any of the firmwares work (I have a generic drive branded Inland) and it gets stuck at 15 percent. I can check the error codes, but I think I'm just going to buy a samsung drive because they are reliable. But thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS