Question Kingston SSD frequently disconnecting?

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
Hello! I have an old PC that I've been refurbishing since I'm going to sell it soon to my friend. However, I've had this frustrating issue with the... what I believe, SSD. It seems like after the PC has been powered off for a while, when I next boot it up - the SSD disappears. It prompts the error:

"No operating system has been found. Please install an operating system", etc.

PC Specs:
Intel i7-870
8GB DDR3 1666MHz
Nvidia GTX 960 4GB
Thermaltake Litepower 600W
MS-7163 HP OEM Mobo
1TB Seagate HDD
250GB Kingston A400 SSD

I was doing a bit of research before posting this and found out that I can update the firmware on my SSD. I've had this SSD installed for 1 and a half years but never updated the firmware. Could this be causing my issue? Normally I unplug and replug the sata cables and it fixes, but then the issue will occur again after a few hours.

Things I've already tried:
  • Replacing power supply and regular sata cables (multiple, multiple times)
  • Changing sata cable ports/slots (no use, all 4 show same results)
  • Updating motherboard BIOS
Is the SSD just faulty? I mean, the HDD is slightly older but still hasn't had any issues. Thing is, I want my friend to have a speedy boot time and less like the computers we have at school (slow and sluggish).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have had similar issues out of Sandisk as well as Kingston. Best bet would be to locate another drive to use for OS. It might be worth a try to see if it will stay connected long enough to change firmware, etc. but would not put it into a situation where it is critical to saving and storing data you wish to keep or OS.

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
It's just a crappy ssd. A lot of people are having problems with this particular model.
If you want to spare your friend from having issues with this drive, then get a new one ( not Kingston preferably ).
The thing is, I don't want to spend $50 to include a new SSD if there's a chance I can prolong this current ones life, even if it's just for a few more months. Is that possible or should I just get a new one?

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
I have had similar issues out of Sandisk as well as Kingston. Best bet would be to locate another drive to use for OS. It might be worth a try to see if it will stay connected long enough to change firmware, etc. but would not put it into a situation where it is critical to saving and storing data you wish to keep or OS.
I was thinking of doing my normal thing of unplugging and replugging sata cables (which seems to fix for a few hours), then installing the firmware update (if there is one). If issues still occur, I'll move the OS over to the HDD entirely (slow, but at least it's usable).