Question Kingston SSD having low read speed

Fido90

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Hey
I have a kingston SSD A400 240GB for system drive and a WD10EZEX 1 TB for storage
I got Windows 7 installed and the SSD is plugged in the SATA 3 port
When i first got The SSD i could recognize the difference in boot speed (it was faster obv) then after a couple of months it was back the way it was before the SSD
i also noticed that when transferring files between the two hard drives, the SSD read speed is significantly low
attached screenshots of files copied to and from the SSD

when copying from SSD to WD hard drive speed is around ... 5.65 MB/sec
when copying from WD hard drive to SSD speed is around ... 180 MB/sec

That's definitely not supposed to happen

Also i tried crystal disk mark and the results are also attached but it seems normal
could it be that windows 7 or a certain software is doing this ?

Screen shots links
https://ibb.co/VC391Gn
https://ibb.co/5YVyWTf

Thank you and sorry for long post

Baracuda

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
Hey
I have a kingston SSD A400 240GB for system drive and a WD10EZEX 1 TB for storage
I got Windows 7 installed and the SSD is plugged in the SATA 3 port
When i first got The SSD i could recognize the difference in boot speed (it was faster obv) then after a couple of months it was back the way it was before the SSD
i also noticed that when transferring files between the two hard drives, the SSD read speed is significantly low
attached screenshots of files copied to and from the SSD

when copying from SSD to WD hard drive speed is around ... 5.65 MB/sec
when copying from WD hard drive to SSD speed is around ... 180 MB/sec

That's definitely not supposed to happen

Also i tried crystal disk mark and the results are also attached but it seems normal
could it be that windows 7 or a certain software is doing this ?

Screen shots links
https://ibb.co/VC391Gn
https://ibb.co/5YVyWTf

Thank you and sorry for long post
i think the problem is your moving 2 different files one is movie (single file) and 2nd is application instalation(very high number of files and copying to a hard drive it kills speed).

P.S when you move files form ssd to hdd (hdd is the limit not the ssd) .

Fido90

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
i think the problem is your moving 2 different files one is movie (single file) and 2nd is application instalation(very high number of files and copying to a hard drive it kills speed).
Try CrystalDiskMark app and there you can properly test your ssd and hdd speed.
  • The app is compressed in one RAR file and i've also tested it on the same movie the result is the same
  • Crystal Disk Mark results are attached in the 3 links below

Baracuda

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
  • The app is compressed in one RAR file and i've also tested it on the same movie the result is the same
  • Crystal Disk Mark results are attached in the 3 links below
Still that doesnt eliminate the point of hard drive having low write speed and i think that is the problem. Maybe do defragment on your hdd because when its quite old and havent been done the drive can get slow and on windows 7 you need to do it manually windows 10 does it automatically.
And read speed doesnt get that slow (hdd to ssd) but still in the file fransfer hdd is the limiting factor and you dont seem to get my point.

Fido90

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
If your point is that the WD hdd has a low write speed then no it doesn't
i've tried copying to it from different sources and it's write speed is around 25 MB/sec
Also i've tried to copy from SSD to other sources like external hard drives and usb drives ... same problem occurred
very low transfer speed for an SSD

USAFRet

Titan
Transfer speed is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.
It does not matter how fast the SSD is, if the HDD cannot keep up.

But, if that SSD has the same issue reading and writing to other targets, then it is probably the SSD at fault.

Kingston drives have been known for crappiness.

Oh, and you might want to NOT USE PIRATED SOFTWARE, or PIRATED MOVIES.
Your Adobe Illustrator crack, or the Interstellar movie might have brought along some nastiness.

Tom's Hardware has a strict policy on pirated software.