Question Kingston SSD randomly spikes to 100% causing freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2021
***sorry wrong title its the ADATA SSD

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: B550M Pro-VDH Wifi (MS-7C95)
RAM: Team T-Force Dark Z 2x8 3200Mhz
GPU: GTX 1660 Super 6GB
Storage: ADATA SP550 256 SSD (has windows on it),1TB HDD, Kingston NV1 M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W Power Supply

Built my PC around a week ago, so it relatively new. I had this annoying bug where it would freeze constantly for around 15-30 seconds, however I figured out whats causing it. At random points my windows SSD (the ADATA SP550) will randomly shoot up to 100% usage in task manager, I have no idea whats causing this but if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
***sorry wrong title its the ADATA SSD

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: B550M Pro-VDH Wifi (MS-7C95)
RAM: Team T-Force Dark Z 2x8 3200Mhz
GPU: GTX 1660 Super 6GB
Storage: ADATA SP550 256 SSD (has windows on it),1TB HDD, Kingston NV1 M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W Power Supply

Built my PC around a week ago, so it relatively new. I had this annoying bug where it would freeze constantly for around 15-30 seconds, however I figured out whats causing it. At random points my windows SSD (the ADATA SP550) will randomly shoot up to 100% usage in task manager, I have no idea whats causing this but if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Did you saw what process was exactly consuming SSD resource?
Probably, I doubt Windows Update or Anti-Malware Execution Service or Disk Defragment service or any Other app is consuming it.

Open Task Manager, & wait for few minutes and see if the returns usage back to normal.
Click on Disk then it will show, highest utilising process & then you right click on Disk and select Command Line now a new tab is added & will show you .exe name.

Oct 7, 2021
Sorry I took so long to respond, I was waiting for it to happen.

Did you saw what process was exactly consuming SSD resource?

Nope I couldn't really see anything, all I saw was it shoot straight up to 100% in the performance tab in Task Manager.

Open Task Manager, & wait for few minutes and see if the returns usage back to normal.
Click on Disk then it will show, highest utilising process & then you right click on Disk and select Command Line now a new tab is added & will show you .exe name.
I waited for it to happen and I saw it shoot to 100% in task manager, as said above, however in the processes tab when sorting to highest disk usage, it says its only 30% used but doesn't show any process using it significantly.

Oct 7, 2021
Use resource manager and that way you can see what’s running on the ssd
Okay so I've been trying to trigger it but can't get it to happen consistantly. I do think that its chrome though, because it looked like it was using a fair bit more than usual. I'll make sure to look again when it happens and post an update.

Reactions: ssbaraskar99
Oct 7, 2021
Okay sorry for such a late update.

After lots of studying of resource monitor and waiting. Well mainly waiting. I'm pretty sure its the pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys.

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
Okay sorry for such a late update.

After lots of studying of resource monitor and waiting. Well mainly waiting. I'm pretty sure its the pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys.

Hey you can try disabling Windows Search Indexing.
I have an i3 Laptop with an NVME, I disabled search index as it use to struggle with these many services running randomly.
Didn't caused any issues to my laptop.

I will recommend you to create a restore point, so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to this point.

Read this article below carefully & you can try if you want to :

Oct 7, 2021
Hey you can try disabling Windows Search Indexing.
I have an i3 Laptop with an NVME, I disabled search index as it use to struggle with these many services running randomly.
Didn't caused any issues to my laptop.

I will recommend you to create a restore point, so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to this point.

Read this article below carefully & you can try if you want to :

I actually did try that yesterday, unfortunately it didn't work.

Jul 10, 2022
Hi bro Im having the same issue with the same SSD! you can watch the problem happening in here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5vOJW6Jnc

Did you manage to solve the problem? Im going crazy with it since I put my pc together
I have the same thing in rdr2.sometimes the game just stops for a few seconds and then runs again,it doesn't happen when something heavy happens but randomly,so i tried some things from this website and i don't know if it helped me but maybe it'll help you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93 and check this thread https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-spiking-to-100-randomly.3687974/ i hope it will help you

Status
Not open for further replies.