[SOLVED] Kingston SSD temps high

Mar 24, 2021
I recently purchased two Kingston A400 SSDs and I think its temperatures are high. The 960gb SSD idle temperature is between 40-45 Celsius and the 120gb is 50-55 Celsius.

My case is a Thermaltake V200 with 6 fans and I believe that it isn't the problem, because other hardware like cpu anf gpu temps are ok! And my old SSD was working in 30-35 Celsius.

Can it be related to the fact that I cloned Windows instead of a clean install? Should I be concerned? Are these temps normal?

Solution
I recently purchased two Kingston A400 SSDs and I think its temperatures are high

I saw you had the 960Gb, but you said you purchased two A400's. I still wouldn't have windows on such a small BOOT drive. SSD's that small are not nearly as FAST.

If you did buy two A400's, can't you send them back and get a 240 or 512GB for the boot drive? I"m just missing the reasoning it don't seem to be based on price. I think I would just chunk the A400's and just use the 1TB, and partition off my C and D drives.

I think your worrying way too much about the temps. It's not going to blow up, its not like your running 89-90C constantly........

Different drives, different controllers its going to run at different temps.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Your temps are running below 70C, so I don't see a huge issue.

The A400 show to be about 25 bucks a piece, so that his 50 dollars. If your board supports M2, you can get a 512GB drive for 55-65 dollars, I would return the SSD and get an M2, then if you concerned about heat put on a heat sink.

Any reason you got really small two SSD's? Smaller SSD's don't perform as well. Do you have them mirrored or something?

Reactions: Tankard
Mar 24, 2021
Your temps are running below 70C, so I don't see a huge issue.

The A400 show to be about 25 bucks a piece, so that his 50 dollars. If your board supports M2, you can get a 512GB drive for 55-65 dollars, I would return the SSD and get an M2, then if you concerned about heat put on a heat sink.

Any reason you got really small two SSD's? Smaller SSD's don't perform as well. Do you have them mirrored or something?

One is 120gb and the other is 960gb (not small). 120gb for me is enough to install Windows 10, Office and some apps. I don't have them mirrored.

I know it's not a huge issue for now but i'm afraid it in the long run, if it can reduce the useful lifetime. Can be a manufacturing defect? My old Kingston V300 never gets higher than 30-35C.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I recently purchased two Kingston A400 SSDs and I think its temperatures are high

I saw you had the 960Gb, but you said you purchased two A400's. I still wouldn't have windows on such a small BOOT drive. SSD's that small are not nearly as FAST.

If you did buy two A400's, can't you send them back and get a 240 or 512GB for the boot drive? I"m just missing the reasoning it don't seem to be based on price. I think I would just chunk the A400's and just use the 1TB, and partition off my C and D drives.

I think your worrying way too much about the temps. It's not going to blow up, its not like your running 89-90C constantly........

Different drives, different controllers its going to run at different temps.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The notorious Kingston A400...
It would be better if you returned them and got SSDs actually worthwhile.
The A400s are very popular due to their eye catching price, but before long, their performance drops off a cliff, being comparable to that of a HDD.
The 120GB is straight up not good; it'll choke up if you just install Windows on it. The 960GB, you likely can't exceed 50% capacity on it before it turns into a slug.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
I have a 240GB A400 from 2017. You get what you pay for. It's not a trail blazer but to be fair, it's no slouch either. I think its worst performance will still run rings around HDDs.

With regards to SSD/NVMe temperatures, there are at least a couple of videos from LTT and GN weighing in on the topic. The general takeaway is that, NANDs that are actively writing will typically last longer when they're on the warmer side. It's the controllers that may thermal throttle when hot. NANDs' sweet spot when active is around the 40°C. For that matter, most of these drives would have some sort of heat spreader, by way of a thermal sticker or something metal, so that the controller can cool down while the NANDs soak up some of the heat.

The notorious Kingston A400...
It would be better if you returned them and got SSDs actually worthwhile.
The A400s are very popular due to their eye catching price, but before long, their performance drops off a cliff, being comparable to that of a HDD.
The 120GB is straight up not good; it'll choke up if you just install Windows on it. The 960GB, you likely can't exceed 50% capacity on it before it turns into a slug.

Don't choke. I once installed Windows 10 on a 120GB A400 in a laptop with a Celeron Dual Core. I think the HDD was faster. I changed that inside a week to a MX500.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't choke. I once installed Windows 10 on a 120GB A400 in a laptop with a Celeron Dual Core. I think the HDD was faster. I changed that inside a week to a MX500.
So it doesn't choke, it just straight up dies XD

I recall other A400 threads... these Dram-less drives can't even hold like half their data cap without drastically slowing down.
The 120GB, one probably can't put more than 50GB of data on it before it keels over.

Apparently, not all Dram-less SSDs are terrible like the A400s, but I'd rather just skip them entirely.