Kingston Unveils 64 GB USB Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiiceaser

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
To me it's kinda stupid to release these things without USB 3.0 spec. How long is it going to take to load this to capacity, or pull all of your data off once loaded? Once USB 3.0 is widely available I'll start being interested in USB flash drives with capacities over 8GB.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
As hannibal pointed out having theoretical bandwidth is nice, but unless devices use the bandwidth it doesn't matter. Much like SATA 3gb is pointless since hard drives don't usually saturate the basic level of SATA.

USB 3 is going to be another nice marketing tool. It will do nothing for many devices, and yet a great majority will pay a premium for the higher number.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The only use for this is an environment where you don't have network access but need to transfer multiple GB of files. This happened where I used to work where a lab was isolated from the company network, but we needed to load multiple-GB builds onto the hardware. Add onto that the fact that we needed multiple builds for different situations, and transferring that kind of data any other way was unfeasible. And no, eSATA wasn't an option. Yeah, it will be nicer with USB3, but the need for lots of storage and the USB protocol is here today, maybe just not as much of a daily user as most people would like.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
might be handy to have all my stuff backed up on just 1 usb device, being updates, programs and my own personal stuff in case of a reformat. Although having a transfer speed of .7 mps to 12 (the more files it sees it has to copy the slower for some reason) i wouldnt really be looking forward to being forced to having to watch 2 movies if you know what I mean. For that price I could just get a solid state disk then use mine as storage =D

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
lol@ USB stick tech support.

i wish they had gone with the USB 3.0 spec though, even though it would never attain the top speed. just for future proofing, though.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I agree with the backup of data just in case of a reformat; I have a lot of programs/drivers/updates that I wouldn't mind moving to something like this; it might take a while; but that's why they invented something that can speed up the process of time; beer.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I'm confused as to why people think USB 2 isn't going to help flash drives. Right now flash maxes out USB 2 at around 30-35mb a second, after the USB cap is raised faster transfer times will come very quickly. My guess is it will be much like an internally connected drive as far as transfer rates are concerned.

Also just because it holds a lot doesn't mean everyone is going to be transfering EVERYTHING off at once. I myself use flash drives to hold PC images and use it as a boot device to stage PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.