Kingston Unveils First PCIe SSD: 1800 MB/s Read Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Is that SATA Express? Jan 3, 2013 - Speedy 8Gbit, 16Gbit SATA Express systems coming this yearhttp://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235229/Speedy_8Gbit_16Gbit_SATA_Express_systems_coming_this_year

No, look at the picture. Clearly PCI Express.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
LSI SandForce SF3700 folks. Durawrite (compression optimization) is still present. This is the old "you need to use this type of data and this benchmark" to see the max numbers scheme. I am much more interested if OCZ/Toshiba/whatever they are get to releasing the PCIe solution based on Barefoot 3.

gordostacoshop

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I wonder what boot time is gonna be with this thing. I wonder if that will even be relevant when this finally hits shelves....and yes, I'm one of "those" people who bought an SSD solely for quick boot up of Windows. I booted my laptop (HDD) the other day and it felt like an eternity to the splash screen. Even the start up chime played in slow-mo.

@gordostacoshop:Bootup time is already pretty low for windows, from pressing the button to fully loaded is less than 20 seconds with my SSD. Shaving say 25% off of that is still only 15 seconds. Fairly negligible to most people. Now for gaming and loading large levels, or people working with large video files. I can see where there would be a real need for this drive. In many games, developers are creating virtual worlds, huge and vast. Maps are getting way to big. Loading times are getting continuously longer.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
That’s the rub though. My new fast CPU and SSD are just as slow as my old CPU and HD when loading most games. My friend I play side by side and most times you can’t even tell. The GPU and RAM are doing things that the games must wait for anyway. Supper fast SSDs above (True) 200MB/s aren’t worth much in day to PC use and gaming.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

not sure i agree with this because i know for a fact that loading bf3 and especially bf4 is way faster. get the best vehicles.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[/quotemsg]

not sure i agree with this because i know for a fact that loading bf3 and especially bf4 is way faster. get the best vehicles. [/quotemsg]

There are a few reviews around, Toms has one and BF3 is one of the few that it makes a difference but it's just not enough to make up for the price gap. Get a 2.7TB disk drive for $130 or a 0.45TB SSD for $375 and not see much difference in most all tasks or save that $250-ish towards a better GPU or CPU. At this point SSDs are still kind of a waste.

maza90210

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

not sure i agree with this because i know for a fact that loading bf3 and especially bf4 is way faster. get the best vehicles. [/quotemsg]

There are a few reviews around, Toms has one and BF3 is one of the few that it makes a difference but it's just not enough to make up for the price gap. Get a 2.7TB disk drive for $130 or a 0.45TB SSD for $375 and not see much difference in most all tasks or save that $250-ish towards a better GPU or CPU. At this point SSDs are still kind of a waste. [/quotemsg]

I'm planning on my next build to use an SSD as a boot drive, and a SSHD as my main drive

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Considering Intel's 800 GB offering at 2 GB/s speeds is about $4,000, it would depend on the price point that Kingston is aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.