Kingston v300 SSD Windows 8 Media Drivers Install Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenjaminK

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 64-bit on a Kingston v300 SSD

I get the error:
A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now.

Note: If the installation media for Windows is in the DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

I tried to find the driver for the v300 on Kingston's website so that I could burn it to a cd to use during installation to no avail.

I also read through this stuff and found it unhelpful/inapplicable:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1742328/windows-installation-missing-media-driver-problem.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273670-32-kingston-windows-install

Solution
Hi, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance.
This error comes up when the Installation disk does not detect a drive that it can install on. Kingston does not have any particular drivers for our SSDs. The drivers that may be needed are the SATA chipset drivers for your computer or motherboard.

Also, it may just need the drive to be initialized and formatted which happens on occassion. First, make sure that the SSD is being detected in the BIOS of your system. If it is then the following instructions should get it going. Note that these instructions are dependent on the SSD being the storage disk connected to the system.

Boot the Windows 8 DVD, choose repair, then advanced, then command prompt...

kingstonhq

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hi, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance.
This error comes up when the Installation disk does not detect a drive that it can install on. Kingston does not have any particular drivers for our SSDs. The drivers that may be needed are the SATA chipset drivers for your computer or motherboard.

Also, it may just need the drive to be initialized and formatted which happens on occassion. First, make sure that the SSD is being detected in the BIOS of your system. If it is then the following instructions should get it going. Note that these instructions are dependent on the SSD being the storage disk connected to the system.

Boot the Windows 8 DVD, choose repair, then advanced, then command prompt and enter the following commands:

Diskpart
Select Disk 0
Clean
Create Partition Primary Align=1024
Format Quick FS=NTFS
List Partition
Active
Exit

Now reboot the computer and you should be able to run the installation as usual.

For any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you.

Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.