Klevv Cras 16GB DDR4-3000 Memory Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmagnum

Honorable
May 14, 2012
DDR4 is not ready for prime-time and this maker blings the looks and jacks up the price to match, thus scaring away price weary up-graders. Am I on the right track?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're paying hundreds of dollars to dress up your system, these modules could up your game. I just can't give them an overall recommendation to the more value-oriented buyers that read most of these reviews :)

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
If you're paying hundreds of dollars to dress up your system, these modules could up your game. I just can't give them an overall recommendation to the more value-oriented buyers that read most of these reviews :)

Haha "game". That term outside of its literal meaning does not exist when you are talking about building and showing off a computer. The only way to up your "game" is to ditch your computer so lets just keep to nerd fest terms. I am more comfortable here anyways. With that said these and all of DDR4 is way overpriced right now. Not worth it.

Saw these DIMM's at PAX south, they aren't that bad actually. They are a bit flashy for my taste but overall they can handle there own. Since they are the first DIMM's of DDR4 I've handled in a PC I can't say whether or not they are the best.

I also remember touching one of the display DIMM's and a security guy got mad at me... but one of the KLEVV people said it was alright and let me see a pair of showcase DIMM's and they feel nice, but again I have not handled any other DDR4 DIMM's besides this one.

As well, I've tested these on a X99 platform(only platform that can use these anyways.)

Guestimated specs as to what I remember these where on

Intel Core I7 5820k (Liquid Cooled)
KLEVV DDR4 RAM
X99 Motherboard(By ASUS i think..)
GTX 980(forgot company)

This is basically what I think where in these systems..

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Just get some low timing memory if you game and call it a day 9000mhz at 50clock rate or whatever is not worth the extra money and isnt much faster.

Wuda been nice to see it compared to Mushkin's 15-15-15-35 set

BTW, button prices don't match the links:

Press the Klev link ($379.99) and it takes you $379.99 set
Press the Gskill link ($429.99) and it takes you $274.99 set
Press the Kingston link ($373.99) and it takes you $259.99 set

Given that the Mushkin DDR4-3000 has the same 15-15-15-35 timings but it is $25 cheaper than the GSkills .... another easy choice.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It might have been, but Mushkin chose to send its DDR4-2800 instead :)

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but last time I saw some real-world test of these higher clocked memories here at tom's the conclusion was that spending some hundred dollars to get a 1% improvement was not worth the investment. Did I miss something important? :)

I'll yell at them !

<Get the intern to fix the prices on the link buttons>

This is why I wish the manufacturers (well some) didn't go thru great pains to keep you from finding out who made the modules. I like that I can just fire up GPU_z and see that my GFX card RAM was made by Samsung, Hynix, Elipida, tec.... oughta be a utility to tell us what's what on System DRAM.

David Holmes

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
I would like to see a comparison between DDR3 and DDR4. I know it's apples and oranges, but if I'm going to upgrade show me why...

If it's a gaming box, I can't make a case for X99.....used to be the reason ya went to the enthusiast platform was the ability to use 3 and 4 GFX cards.... while scaling has improved with 2 cards .... getting up to 96% in demanding games.... the jump from 2 to 3 cards today seems smaller and from 3 to 4 its miniscule.... of course with bigger resolutions the numbers get bigger but not enough methinks to make make me open my wallet.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5623/10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-sli--3-way-sli--4-way-sli-review-benchmarks-hardwareinfo-gpu-performance-score-20142015

At 1920, the jump from 2 to 3 cards is 4% .... an from 3 to 4 it's < 1

Even at 4k....

1 card => 2 cards = 188% of 1 card
2 cards => 3 cards = 119% of 2 cards
3 cards => 4 cards = 114% of 3 cards

Sabishii Hito

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I'll yell at them !

<Get the intern to fix the prices on the link buttons>

This is why I wish the manufacturers (well some) didn't go thru great pains to keep you from finding out who made the modules. I like that I can just fire up GPU_z and see that my GFX card RAM was made by Samsung, Hynix, Elipida, tec.... oughta be a utility to tell us what's what on System DRAM.

Thaiphoon Burner can do this on G.Skill DDR4 modules.

I looked at a few screenshots (all I could find) and didn't see any that showed the module supplier. Basically they all said Corsair.... but your saying this works on GSkill DDR4 .... what about all the rest of the DDR4 / DDR3 stuff out there ... and why are reviewers not using it to include in their reviews ?

Status
Not open for further replies.