Knock, Knock

Chris

Well, there it goes Noel :). Why do I get this delay in some of the things I
click on? Be it as simple as opening a mail, to opening programs or going
from one page to another in the net. It seems like the PC has to think about
it for a few seconds or something is holding it. The machine is fully
defraged, scan disked, Ad-awar-ed, spyware blasted, McAfee firewall-ed, and
AVG checking things on. Have 512 memory on board and nothing major seems to
be wrong. This happens not all the time but it does and gets annoying. I feel
like wanting to smak it in the head and saying "come on, cough it up already
buddy" :). Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Anyone at home???
> 5 hours without a post???
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

The usual reason for delays like that is waking up the AV (which was
probably dreaming along doing a background scan), so that it can scan
whatever it is that you're opening.
Other reasons include what you've already thought of (malware), and other
background apps taking time to release the RAM for the job.

--

> Well, there it goes Noel :). Why do I get this delay in some of the
> things I
> click on? Be it as simple as opening a mail, to opening programs or going
> from one page to another in the net. It seems like the PC has to think
> about
> it for a few seconds or something is holding it. The machine is fully
> defraged, scan disked, Ad-awar-ed, spyware blasted, McAfee firewall-ed,
> and
> AVG checking things on. Have 512 memory on board and nothing major seems
> be wrong. This happens not all the time but it does and gets annoying. I
> feel
> like wanting to smak it in the head and saying "come on, cough it up
> already
> buddy" :). Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks.
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> Anyone at home???
>> 5 hours without a post???
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

Some of us have to sleep.
Why are you knocking at 5:36 a.m. on a Sunday morning?

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:36:55 +0100, "Noel Paton"
<NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Anyone at home???
>5 hours without a post???

(damn - I missed the Sunrise!?)

--

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Some of us have to sleep.
> Why are you knocking at 5:36 a.m. on a Sunday morning?
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:36:55 +0100, "Noel Paton"
> <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone at home???
>>5 hours without a post???

Shane

It also sets, you know.

Shane

> (damn - I missed the Sunrise!?)
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> Some of us have to sleep.
>> Why are you knocking at 5:36 a.m. on a Sunday morning?
>>
>> ...Alan
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:36:55 +0100, "Noel Paton"
>> <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone at home???
>>>5 hours without a post???

Oh goodie! - now - if we assume that this is cyclical, it means I get
another chance to make Alan wake up in time for Sunrise on Monday? - Boring!
(he's probably half-way to work by then.) Oh, well - have to wait until next
Satsunday..

--

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It also sets, you know.
>
> Shane
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> (damn - I missed the Sunrise!?)
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Some of us have to sleep.
>>> Why are you knocking at 5:36 a.m. on a Sunday morning?
>>>
>>> ...Alan
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

Shane

You crazy monkey!

Shane

> Oh goodie! - now - if we assume that this is cyclical, it means I get
> another chance to make Alan wake up in time for Sunrise on Monday? -
> Boring! (he's probably half-way to work by then.) Oh, well - have to wait
> until next Satsunday..
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> It also sets, you know.
>>
>> Shane
>>
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> (damn - I missed the Sunrise!?)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>>
>>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>>> NG's
>>>
>>> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

Work?
Wash your mouth out with soap!
I retired 11 years ago.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 23:12:01 +0100, "Noel Paton"
<NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Oh goodie! - now - if we assume that this is cyclical, it means I get
>another chance to make Alan wake up in time for Sunrise on Monday? - Boring!
>(he's probably half-way to work by then.) Oh, well - have to wait until next
>Satsunday..

So did I - but don't tell my boss, or he might fire me!
:)
--

> Work?
> Wash your mouth out with soap!
> I retired 11 years ago.
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html

<lol> I even phoned him so he didn't feel lonely <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> You crazy monkey!
>

> Shane

ROFL
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Anyone at home???
> 5 hours without a post???

I'm on vacation at the time.

Back; had a wonderful time even though we spent about the same amount of
time driving up and back as actually sightseeing.

:)

Rick

Par for the course??

--

Noel Paton wrote:
> Par for the course??

heheh, no, just sightseeing up river about 800 miles. Only time I
played golf was ~ 4am in -20C in several feet of snow in a kilt (I
suppose mentioning "tipsy" would be redundant).

Rick

ROFL
That I would love to have seen <g>
Joan

Rick T wrote:

> heheh, no, just sightseeing up river about 800 miles. Only time I
> played golf was ~ 4am in -20C in several feet of snow in a kilt (I
> suppose mentioning "tipsy" would be redundant).
>

> Rick

I had an excuse, but what would you be doing on a golf course in Weston
at 4am New Years Day in 1979 ?

We jumped a fence to get in there and there was a snowdrift on the other
side of said fence. I'm afraid there wouldn't have been much to see
after that; we had brought clubs but I disrecall any golf actually being
played... I'm sure if we had we wouldn't have been able to find our balls.

Rick
:))

Joan Archer wrote:
> ROFL
> That I would love to have seen <g>
> Joan
>

> Rick T wrote:
>
>>heheh, no, just sightseeing up river about 800 miles. Only time I
>>played golf was ~ 4am in -20C in several feet of snow in a kilt (I
>>suppose mentioning "tipsy" would be redundant).
>>

>>Rick

OK - here's an 18+ pps to whet your appetite (sent me over the weekend - I
won't post it, 'cos it's too big - 512KB) for golf, Rick.....

www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/REASONSTOPLAYGOLF.PPS

Joan can peek too - but she may not 'get it'! <g>
--

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> ROFL
> That I would love to have seen <g>
> Joan
>

> Rick T wrote:
>>
>> heheh, no, just sightseeing up river about 800 miles. Only time I
>> played golf was ~ 4am in -20C in several feet of snow in a kilt (I
>> suppose mentioning "tipsy" would be redundant).
>>

>> Rick

ROFL
John wants to know why has that bloke got a smile on his face <vbg>
And yes I got it <g>
Joan

Joan Archer wrote:
> ROFL
> John wants to know why has that bloke got a smile on his face <vbg>

the word "grimace" comes to mind.