Knocked My PC Over

Wilfred21

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
This was a while ago (like 4 months ago min) and I was just thinking about it. IF it did do any damage to my Pc what part would it of damaged (It fell on the side that the motherboard is attached to)

Solution

Kenton82

Reputable
Has it been ok since? The main parts would be the GPU, and the motherboard PCIE socket, plus the cooler for the CPU. The HDD SHOULD be ok if it did not receive much of a shock (HDD usually fragile due to moving parts inside)
Keep an eye on temps. If the Cooler has been dislodged it will impact the temperatures.

Wilfred21

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

I have measured temps and my GPU max is 74 C and CPU max is 80 C which I am pretty sure is not good so i am thinking about buying a hyper evo 212. How much of a difference will this cooler make? There are some games which the FPS seems to be odd but in others i is fine so i dont think that is to due to the GPU (unless Rainbow six siege not being able to run in full screen or borderless otherwise it crashes and getting low fps in Doom is linked to the graphics card).

Thanks for any response.

Suggest you post your system specs (what GPU, CPU, etc. to a new thread titled "what should i upgrade". Do say what you use the PC for (gaming, video edit, web surfing).

Case falling is apt to break the case, not the internal components if you assembled correctly or if this is an OEM pc (dell, HP, etc.). Given the PC kept working you are fine.

DUST is the number 1 cause of a hot CPU. Get a can of compressed air (NOT the vacuum cleaner or dust buster) and flow the dust out of the heat sink on the CPU and out the of fan on the video card. Compressed air is $7 a can at staples or amazon. Blow out the rest of your PC also. (I have an evo 212, it is great, but it is not needed unless you are overclocking your CPU, or unless you are trying to get a quieter PC. The stock cpu heat sink / fan works fine.)

The temps for GPU and CPU would not cause throttling, so would not be slowing down your PC. But it is good to get the CPU temp a bit lower.

Kenton82

Reputable

As long as your CPU and board is capable of using the 212, and you are still running your standard cooler, it will make a marked improvement (so long as you do what tsnor has said and make sure all the components are free from dust and dirt first) and if you have done this then the stock cooler should do just fine.
FPS will depend on how well these games are optimised, as some - even quite recent titles can have choppy game play FPS wise.
Give the cleaning a go first, and report back.

Solution