Question Knocked off capacitor 2080 ti

hungoverfurball

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
While installing a waterblock on my 2080ti I slipped and dropped the screwdriver on the gpu and knocked off the capacitor behind the gpu core as shown in the photo . The gpu seems to display 2d and 3d in the short testing I was able to do without any cooling. Does anyone happen to know what that cap is responsible for?

uAoPYcm.jpg

hungoverfurball

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
"a bit of a loss"?
Used, ebay, with a known part broken off....1/2 price at best.

Quick ebay sold and active list shows non functional 2080ti cards going for $500-$600 I have about $800 into the card due to a hell of a bundle deal a few months back. So I'd say a $300ish loss, which isn't bad compared to the potential $1200 loss if I had full price into the card and no means to recoup any cost at all. Just sucks that shaky hands due to a health issues can cause expensive mistakes :(

hungoverfurball

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Capacitors are frequently used for filtering unwanted signal noise. You might get graphical errors or it might not be a problem at all. Is it still hanging on there at an angle?

I removed it with micro tweezers as it was connecting to the other cap next to it. The picture was right after it happened. I'm inclined to think it maybe some sort of filtering as nothing is bridging those connections anymore and yet the card is working. Sucks that this was during prep for custom water cooling loop as there is no easy way to simply stress test it. Either I complete the loop and hope for the best, or strip the block off and put that complicated AF stock air cooler back on..

Well, I’ve read other forum questions with the same problem, so take comfort that you’re certainly not the first to have this happen. If it doesn’t affect the functionality then don’t worry about it. There’s really not much you can do without knowing the capacitance in order to get a replacement, never mind trying to solder the new part in. You could try getting a hold of TiN from xdevs.com to ask about it. He’s a GPU design engineer for EVGA.