Question Knocked resistor off motherboard, what should i do?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
or is it irrelevant?

What makes you think that MoBo manufacturers spend time, money, manpower and resources to put irrelevant components on the MoBo? :unsure:

what should i do?

if you can, solder it back. But since it's the smallest component on the MoBo, take extreme care, not to gap any other leads with solder. E.g too big of a solder ball will gap the distance to next component.

Reactions: Krotow
Mar 29, 2022
What makes you think that MoBo manufacturers spend time, money, manpower and resources to put irrelevant components on the MoBo? :unsure:

Great question...

if you can, solder it back. But since it's the smallest component on the MoBo, take extreme care, not to gap any other leads with solder. E.g too big of a solder ball will gap the distance to next component.

how do i know what component does that resistor serve? i can not find any schematics on the internet

Mar 29, 2022
I would try to RMA the board. Too risky to use or solder. I take it you are still in the return window for the board? I would take use of that...

looking at images online of that board it seems like i knocked off another resistence that i lost apparently... i bought it using amazon a few days ago, what reason should i return it for?

KyaraM

Admirable
RMA for something you did yourself to destroy the board?
You would be surprised. What do you suggest, then? Besides, I promise you Amazon extorts their employees enough and earns enough to be able to compensate for it.

looking at images online of that board it seems like i knocked off another resistence that i lost apparently... i bought it using amazon a few days ago, what reason should i return it for?
Broken goods.

KyaraM

Admirable
You know they do inspect returns of electronic items like this for just this reason.

Please refrain from suggesting dishonest activity.
I literally went to Asus' support site and looked at their repair requests. They do fix/replace user-induced damage, including broken off components and broken pins, as long as it's not excessive, eg corners broken off. I don't see how trying to send the board in, be it the seller or producer, is dishonest. They decide if they do nothing, replace, or repair it. And I literally suggested to declare it broken. Amazon lets you describe the damage and what happened. Let them decide if it's cause for a return or not. But it's worth a shot.

USAFRet

Titan
I literally went to Asus' support site and looked at their repair requests. They do fix/replace user-induced damage, including broken off components and broken pins, as long as it's not excessive, eg corners broken off. I don't see how trying to send the board in, be it the seller or producer, is dishonest. They decide if they do nothing, replace, or repair it. And I literally suggested to declare it broken. Amazon lets you describe the damage and what happened. Let them decide if it's cause for a return or not. But it's worth a shot.
Amazon will take it back, no questions asked, within the first 30 days.
After that, it is up to the manufacturers warranty. Which does not cover user induced problems.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats not what you said, at all. You suggested he was within the return window and to return it. You did not anywhere in there suggest to declare it "broken" and even if you did HE broke it, it was not broken when he got it. Yes ASUS will repair it, no kidding, they will also charge you for it. Returning it to the place you got it from as "broken" without saying you broke it, is dishonest.