[SOLVED] Knocking my table causes display/audio glitches, but PC is fine?

Mar 4, 2021
If I knock my table, which my desktop PC sits on top of as well as monitor, audio amp and speakers, then my speakers spit static and my monitor will get lines across it or even go black for a second or two - but it's not affecting my PC at all, it's running fine even during these glitches, and actually pushing/moving/tapping the PC itself doesn't cause any of the problems. I've turned the PC off and checked components inside, and everything is in place - the GPU is rock solid secure, especially, as is the RAM. I'm honestly at a loss as to what is causing these glitches.

Solution
Direct HDMI, from a GTX 960 into the back of the display.

I totally get what you were going for, hdmi audio would be a clear culprit, but there's no speakers on this monitor so sadly not.

The whole setup is getting on for 5 years old this summer, so it could be that it's just simply starting to croak, but if there was anything to be done to extend it I'd want to go for that first.
Being it is affecting the video and audio....it may possibly be something with the motherboard.
I think you can probably eliminate the GPU....HDMI cable...and display.
I still think it's possible it could be a loose power supply connection...and it may even be something weird like a loose SATA connection or something like that ...that causes a...
Mar 4, 2021
I would power down and go through all the connections and unseat and reseat everything.
I think most likely it is a bad connection somewhere.
You're probably right, yeah, but what's confusing me is how actually moving the case about/knocking the case to the same degree as the table isn't doing anything, it's specifically only when I knock the table itself.

You're probably right, yeah, but what's confusing me is how actually moving the case about/knocking the case to the same degree as the table isn't doing anything, it's specifically only when I knock the table itself.
Yeah that's odd....but odd things happen.
As far as the bad connection...I wouldn't expect it to be on the "power supply" side of things...because if it were...I would expect a crash. Although I'm not 100% on this...but I think "most likely".
How are you getting the sound to the speakers?

Reactions: Thomb00
Mar 4, 2021
Yeah that's odd....but odd things happen.
As far as the bad connection...I wouldn't expect it to be on the "power supply" side of things...because if it were...I would expect a crash. Although I'm not 100% on this...but I think "most likely".
How are you getting the sound to the speakers?
I've got an admittedly slightly weird setup, line-in - to - 3.5mm cable (edit: male-to-male) that then plugs into a 3.5mm extension (edit: female to male, female takes the line-in converter and male goes into motherboard), which then plugs into the motherboard's 3.5mm out. The jack on the front of my PC is broken, so this was the system I had to use to make using headphones and speakers viable through the back I/O.

The line-in goes to an amp, which then has standard copper cable L/R to two speakers - so I can totally see how that could be affected by vibrations if the cables are dodgy, I just don't get how it's affecting the display/and cables. (Unless I'm just really unlucky and the display is also on the out)

I've got an admittedly slightly weird setup, line-in - to - 3.5mm cable (edit: male-to-male) that then plugs into a 3.5mm extension (edit: female to male, female takes the line-in converter and male goes into motherboard), which then plugs into the motherboard's 3.5mm out. The jack on the front of my PC is broken, so this was the system I had to use to make using headphones and speakers viable through the back I/O.

The line-in goes to an amp, which then has standard copper cable L/R to two speakers - so I can totally see how that could be affected by vibrations if the cables are dodgy, I just don't get how it's affecting the display/and cables. (Unless I'm just really unlucky and the display is also on the out)
Well...what I was getting at...is if you were using HDMI for audio that would help narrow it down.
So your audio is coming from the 3.5mm stereo line out.
...and the video to the monitor is coming from where?

Mar 4, 2021
Well...what I was getting at...is if you were using HDMI for audio that would help narrow it down.
So your audio is coming from the 3.5mm stereo line out.
...and the video to the monitor is coming from where?

I totally get what you were going for, hdmi audio would be a clear culprit, but there's no speakers on this monitor so sadly not.

The whole setup is getting on for 5 years old this summer, so it could be that it's just simply starting to croak, but if there was anything to be done to extend it I'd want to go for that first.

Being it is affecting the video and audio....it may possibly be something with the motherboard.
I still think it's possible it could be a loose power supply connection...and it may even be something weird like a loose SATA connection or something like that ...that causes a transient in the system and you get what you get.
So I would still power down and reseat things. You might get lucky....although if you fix it you may never know what it is (without doing them one at a time...I wouldn't)....but still...you might get lucky.

Reactions: Thomb00
Solution
Mar 4, 2021
I still think it's possible it could be a loose power supply connection...and it may even be something weird like a loose SATA connection or something like that ...that causes a transient in the system and you get what you get.
So I would still power down and reseat things. You might get lucky....although if you fix it you may never know what it is (without doing them one at a time...I wouldn't)....but still...you might get lucky.
Thank you, yeah. I may just need to accept it and deal with it until I can rebuild the system with upgrades (as soon as GPUs stop being ludicrous, that's on the cards). Cheers for all the help!