Question Know of any promotions?

I am looking to get a ryzen 5 6 core for under $90.

Any way to do this without doing anything sketchy or waiting months for delivery?

I dont really care new or uses as long as it ships to me. I also dont need cooler.

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
The best way to get a cheap Ryzen is to go for a generation or two back. For example the Ryzen 5 1600 can be had for $100 or less, just do a search on ebay or something similar.
However I would spend the extra $20 to get a 2600, as you will only lose one generation of gen on gen improvements to IPC, etc. It'll be $20 well spent, and it might not even be that much if you do some digging and/or bidding.

Keep in mind each generation has gained 15-20% IPC advantage on the previous gen, so going back 2 generations could have a serious performance disability versus current models, even though they may have the same core count and similar clock speeds. To save $20, it doesn't seem worth going back 2 generations.

If you are here in the Us and lucky enough to live in a city that has a Micro Center near by you could go there.
here is there link, in the middle of the page at the top you can change the city to see if 1 is close to you.
[URL="http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294966995+4294819840+4294818783+4294812986&myStore=true[/URL]"]www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294966995+4294819840+4294818783+4294812986&myStore=true[/URL]

Well, I offered $75 for a tray R5 1600 CPU on FB marketplace. Unfortunately, they sold it to someone else first.

This forced me to go the safest route and I bought a brand new R5 1600 from Google Express.
Since Google Express offers a $20 discount for new users, the CPU only cost me $88+tax with free shipping. Can't beat that for a brand new 1600 with a 3-year warranty, box, and cooler.

https://ibb.co/mXZ7V7y

So now ill have a Ryzen 3 1200 with box and wraith stealth as well as an unused Wraith Spire lying around. I will sell them once i get the R5 1600 installed, so if anyone wants to buy one of these items ill cut you a good deal.

I hope this 1600 comes with a solid IMC. My 1200 has gotten my ram to a solid 3333 mhz or 3400mhz if i push it,

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
Well, I offered $75 for a tray R5 1600 CPU on FB marketplace. Unfortunately, they sold it to someone else first.

This forced me to go the safest route and I bought a brand new R5 1600 from Google Express.
Since Google Express offers a $20 discount for new users, the CPU only cost me $88+tax with free shipping. Can't beat that for a brand new 1600 with a 3-year warranty, box, and cooler.

https://ibb.co/mXZ7V7y

So now ill have a Ryzen 3 1200 with box and wraith stealth as well as an unused Wraith Spire lying around. I will sell them once i get the R5 1600 installed, so if anyone wants to buy one of these items ill cut you a good deal.

Good you find that option!, theres no need to tell you this but I will say it anyways, it will be a huge improvement.

Enjoy!!!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Well, really the only game I bought this CPU was for GTA to smooth out the frame drops. It will serve me nicely for the future.

The next upgrade will be buying some more ram to get 16gb total.

So far my 8gb hasn't really been causing me too many issues so I will wait to upgrade. I am already getting lectured about spending too much on computer parts.

Well, really the only game I bought this CPU was for GTA to smooth out the frame drops. It will serve me nicely for the future.

The next upgrade will be buying some more ram to get 16gb total.

So far my 8gb hasn't really been causing me too many issues.

I see, well if youre sure to stay with AMD 4 platform, I wouldnt wait too much on the RAM, you know, RAM prices can double from one day to the other do to weather conditions, a ship lost in the sea or a fire in a factory.

And right now prices are pretty good, 70ish dollar for a 2x8GB kit DDR4 3600 (https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232731?Item=N82E16820232731) wont last forever ;)...

... that if you want dual channel, if not less than 40.

Do you think my Arctic Freezer 34 esports one can get the R51600 to 4ghz or so?

If you read the technical data of the cooler (Recommended for TDP up to: 200W) it should be enough.

Now since most manufactures don't use "real numbers" I would said, since every cpu is a universe on its own, it will probably depend on how lucky you are with the one you get.

If you manage to get to 4.0GHz with a decent voltage, then the cooler will be fine.

This is my first Ryzen CPU, so sadly I have no experience OC the first gen.

But lets us know when you try!!!

PD: I forgot to mention, it will also depend on how well does your motherboard support the extra increase in current, temps on VRM, all that stuff.

Last edited:
Well, my 1200 won't break 3.7ghz without immense voltage, although I have seen 4.1ghz online even on the stock cooler. Even then 3.8ghz is as far as it goes, regardless of whether I use the stock cooler or the Freezer 34.

So I am curious what the R5 1600 will do, so I will find out and report back here.

Well, my 1200 won't break 3.7ghz without immense voltage, although I have seen 4.1ghz online even on the stock cooler. Even then 3.8ghz is as far as it goes, regardless of whether I use the stock cooler or the Freezer 34.

So I am curious what the R5 1600 will do, so I will find out and report back here.

The mobo can also be a point of failure when trying high oc, and 4.X GHz on first gen Ryzen is a high overclocking. Steady voltage delivering without a strong VRM setup is a problem when trying to OC that high.

PSU can also become a problem.

But you'll never know till you try, since as I wrote, every CPU is a universe on its own.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
The mobo can also be a point of failure when trying high oc, and 4.X GHz on first gen Ryzen is a high overclocking. Steady voltage delivering without a strong VRM setup is a problem when trying to OC that high.

PSU can also become a problem.

But you'll never know till you try, since as I wrote, every CPU is a universe on its own.
I just found the issue was the R3 1200 was just bad silicon.

Just got my 1600 and it is at 4.1ghz 1.35v running prime 95 completely stable.