[SOLVED] Knowledgeable HDD partition advice required.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
My 10TB Seagate situation ( just that I deleted the extra partition and extended the volume and it became an dynamic) I did not like that, don't know why but seems odd, so I gave the drive a letter again, copied all my files somewhere ells and formatted and partitioned the drive in question again, and low and behold it was simple again but again with an extra partition (MSR or something) well now I have just left it like that, mine is only 15mb large, besides my drive works flawlessly.

But I might be looking to better the situation as well.

Oh and to add the MSR or whatever partition that gets automatically created of my drive doesn't show in disk management, rather only in windows setup.

Any idea how to better the state of the drive, or is it best to just leave it as it is now.

Solution
I might have used 3rd party apps, but they seem too be unobtainable for free and without much hassle and with this method I'm 100% guaranteed that my drive is in good running partitioned order with one single basic GPT partition spanning the entire drive space.
No need for 3rd party apps.
You could delete MSR partition using diskpart.
formatted and partitioned the drive in question again, and low and behold it was simple again but again with an extra partition (MSR or something) well now I have just left it like that, mine is only 15mb large, besides my drive works flawlessly.

But I might be looking to better the situation as well.

No indication from the above that you have an issue or any situation that needs to be better.

Pending your further details or Disk Management pic.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Sure, just a sec, I know you advised me not to go and buy a secondhand drive, but it's worked out rather well besides this little issue I'm facing, (half the cost of what I would have paid for an 8TB counterpart, shipping and handling included, besides that get yourself ready because we can play around a bit with this thing, because now I have more than enough free space to move all my files around by copying to find the best possible resolve for this drive.
  1. Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
  2. What will this drive be used for?

Got movies on it now, but it's not filling the drive, so I can easily copy that to one of my other drives to begin working on the partition issue.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Here we go, what do you make of this:

As for the issue I cant make a screenshot of the drive table in the windows setup to show you what I mean.
It's there thou, I know because after I had setup windows, I went back into the setup to check if there are any other partitions that I did not create and that's when I saw what's really going on here.

In my above screenshot you can calculate that there is 150mb odd missing from the drive in question's usable space, that's the only way without resorting to other methods that i can prove my issue.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
The 10TB Disk 0?

How do you calculate "150MB" is missing?

(150MB is approx 0.0015% of a 10TB drive)

Yes I might be inclined to believe that the 10TB drive is disk 0, not sure thou, possibly: ( is this perhaps the reason why windows disk management & windows setup creates a extra partition when creating the volume?) I hope with some expert direction I can change that!

Calculation beside, the point of the issue is that I'd rather have an single volume of my drive to better manage it, If you would be so kind as to direct me into doing that and having said change made remain indefinitely, I'd be most greatful, because I have tried my known methods without success.

Last edited:
Is it now your intent to do a clean install of Windows?

Do you have the correct installation media to do a clean install?

An ordinary clean installation will make several partitions on your disk.

If this is NOT your Windows disk and is for data only, you should be able to format it easily in Disk Management.

I'm not sure how you ever ended up with "dynamic".

I don't think there is such a thing as a "GPT partition". The term refers to disks only.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Is it now your intent to do a clean install of Windows?

Do you have the correct installation media to do a clean install?

An ordinary clean installation will make several partitions on your disk.

If this is NOT your Windows disk and is for data only, you should be able to format it easily in Disk Management.

I'm not sure how you ever ended up with "dynamic".

I don't think there is such a thing as a "GPT partition". The term refers to disks only.

I'm done and I have completed a clean install already, I won't be doing that again anytime soon ( setup is perfect besides the data volume of G:\drive and the multiple partitions to resolve it into one without creating another dynamic volume again (I believe that the previous dynamic volume was created by deleting the reserve partition and then extending the volume with that space), I rather much like to avoid that again.

Even if I format the drive in disk management or in windows setup ( easily run from my bootable usb and exited again after task) the disk still gets two partitions, even if only one maxed space available volume is created.

So how do we go about making it [one] partition, simple, basic, GPT?

You say "the disk still gets two partitions, even if only one maxed space available volume is created."

I assume you mean that is the current situation after an attempt in the last hour. Is that correct?

What are the sizes of these 2 partitions?

Can you post a current as of right now pic of Disk Management showing all details of this particular disk?

I think some motherboards will balk at partitions above a certain size. Mostly older ones.

What is the brand name and model number of your motherboard?

Is this a recently purchased 10 TB disk? Where did you buy it?

How many TB of data have you ever had on it at one time? 4? 6? 8?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You say "the disk still gets two partitions, even if only one maxed space available volume is created."

I assume you mean that is the current situation after an attempt in the last hour. Is that correct?

What are the sizes of these 2 partitions?

Can you post a current as of right now pic of Disk Management showing all details of this particular disk?

I think some motherboards will balk at partitions above a certain size. Mostly older ones.

Is this a recently purchased 10 TB disk? Where did you buy it?

How many gigabytes of data have you ever had on it at one time? 4? 6? 8?

What is the brand name and model number of your motherboard?
No I have not attempted anything yet, because I know without some knowledgeable guidance, it will just end up being a dynamic volume again.
Besides, I'm still copying the current data off off the drive again, and that hasn't finished yet now, then I can play around and find a solution when the disk is free.

Look at the screenshots above posts, I hadn't changed anything from what it shows there yet.

9000+GB & 15MB are the two partitions now and As far as it was possible on multiple attempts this has been the outcome if only one maxed volume was selected when creating a volume.

Got a Gigabyte B460 M D3H motherboard. Cant you see my Signature? got it all listed there.

Recently purchased yes, it's drive from 2021. Bought secondhand.

And I have had it filled with roughly 4.5TB to test, never filled up the 9TB free space yet. ( the main reason why I want to do something about the state of the drive now, before I get more data). I still have the leeway to move data around to make partitions better for the long run.

Last edited:
From your first post in this thread:

"My 10TB Seagate situation ( just that I deleted the extra partition and extended the volume and it became an dynamic) I did not like that".

Was this immediately after a format in Disk Management? I wouldn't expect to see any extra partition.

Was this a brand new disk?

If not brand new, has it ever had an operating system on it?

You can always try a "clean" on the disk in Diskpart and make a format attempt there, rather than in Disk Management.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
From your first post in this thread:

"My 10TB Seagate situation ( just that I deleted the extra partition and extended the volume and it became an dynamic) I did not like that".

Was this immediately after a format in Disk Management? I wouldn't expect to see any extra partition.

Was this a brand new disk?

If not brand new, has it ever had an operating system on it?

You can always try a "clean" on the disk in Diskpart and make a format attempt there, rather than in Disk Management.

Yes immediately after a delete partitions and setup of win and then retried with disk management delete volume and after, back in the windows setup again same result every time.

I don't know if this was a Operating system drive at one point, I had never had it setup that way, it's not an NVMe or SSD so I wouldn't think so, regardless a delete partitions would erase any windows partition it had.

Seems like an idea to try and clean it with diskpart commands.. thanks, what kind of commands I'll figure out when I get there.

Yes immediately after a delete partitions and setup of win

Seems like an idea to try and clean it with diskpart commands.. thanks, what kind of commands I'll figure out when I get there.

??

You were attempting a "setup of Win". In Disk Management?

Any attempt at "setup of Win" will likely create partitions. If you want to put Windows on the disk, you will end up with several. Utterly normal.

I thought this was an attempt at a purely data disk.

If you want Windows on this disk, you don't have to use Disk Management and you wouldn't need to manually delete any partitions.

I'm not clear on your ultimate intent since you are implying a Windows installation attempt.

If you try "clean" in Diskpart, be sure to select the correct disk or you could have a disaster erase of everything on the wrong disk.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Great finally seem to have made it the way it should be, used windows setup to delete MSR extra partition, booted back into windows, then created the volume with disk management, and verified with diskpart that there is only one partition now:

And just for good measure, went back into the windows setup to verify desired single partition remains 100% intact and useable for the long run.

I might have used 3rd party apps, but they seem too be unobtainable for free and without much hassle and with this method I'm 100% guaranteed that my drive is in good running partitioned order with one single basic GPT partition spanning the entire drive space.

Thanks for all your input, It is appreciated.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
No need for 3rd party apps.
You could delete MSR partition using diskpart.

Yes, indeed but nobody posted the correct commands for the action to be completed with diskpart, I couldn't figure it out easier than what I had done.

Real question after all is said and done is, Why wasn't I able to achieve this much faster or easier with my 1st or second attempt to do the exact same thing as I had done now, for some reason this drive did not allow me to have a single partition without an MSR additional partition that gets created again and again, might be that I just did not remember the proper way anymore, it's not every day that one has a totally free disk to make such changes.

That said I'm glad this could have been achieved, makes me feel allot better about this drive and how it's going to have a place in my pc for the coming future.