[SOLVED] known brand or better (on paper) specs when looking for a monitor?

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
I am currently looking for a new 1440p ultrawide monitor to upgrade from my old 60hz 1440p AOC. Not looking to spend a huge amount of money for something like the ROG Swift so I found some pretty decent options for around £440.
One looks better specs wise (1ms response time vs 8ms) and is slightly cheaper which makes me suspicious, but it is of a brand I'm less familiar with called "Antgamer". The other is MSI which I know is likely a safer bet.
I've linked the specs below, leaning towards the Antgamer one but since I'm not as knowledgable in the area I'm wondering if I'm missing anything obvious.
https://www.lasystems.be/en/antgamer-m34g5q-computer-monitor-86-4-cm-34-inch-lcd-curved-black-m34g5q
Note: Both are available on Amazon if that makes a difference

edit:
just spotted this AOC which is alot cheaper than both
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...en-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-05a-ao.html#
would this be the better choice at this price range?

Last edited:
Solution
Given those choices I would go with the AOC. AOC is well respected in the budget monitor game. I've heard too many bad things about MSI monitors. I'm not familiar with the Ant but wouldn't trust it. The MSI also has no height adjustment which is a feature you want. I know people gaming on 10 year old AOC monitors.

Just be aware that these widescreens have issues with brightness/color uniformity and arn't perfect. Both the AOC and MSI seem to suffer this problem but the AOC less. Given a quick calibration, the AOC seems to be pretty decent for the price.

Just be aware this is a curved screen so will be akward with apps like photoshop and spreadsheets. If it's 100% for gaming then no prob. Given the higher refresh rate...

gondo

Distinguished
Given those choices I would go with the AOC. AOC is well respected in the budget monitor game. I've heard too many bad things about MSI monitors. I'm not familiar with the Ant but wouldn't trust it. The MSI also has no height adjustment which is a feature you want. I know people gaming on 10 year old AOC monitors.

Just be aware that these widescreens have issues with brightness/color uniformity and arn't perfect. Both the AOC and MSI seem to suffer this problem but the AOC less. Given a quick calibration, the AOC seems to be pretty decent for the price.

Just be aware this is a curved screen so will be akward with apps like photoshop and spreadsheets. If it's 100% for gaming then no prob. Given the higher refresh rate, extra resolution, Freesync, and VA panel, I think you'll be happy with quite an improvement over your current monitor. You can always use your old monitor as a 2nd display for things like editing and word processing if you want.

Also don't trust paper specs for monitors. Trust reviews that test black levels, color uniformity, accuracy, input response, etc... I checked out both monitors and would choose the AOC over the MSI given the same price level.

Solution