Koolance Launches a Shiny Radeon R9-290X Water Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I think everyone wants to see benches with watercooled 290Xs that are not limited by their thermal envelope. I'm almost willing to bet with the right voltages the 290 and 290X will reach 1.1-1.2GHz just like the 7970/280X.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Why so expensive? How would that compare to a user modding in a cooler such as the H80i, and then adding passive heatsinks to the memory and other heat producing components, then having a side panel fan on the case cool those components?

Due to the specificity of the waterblock, it will likely only work for that one card. (lots of money for a cooler that will only work for one card.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

1. There is a market for expensive++ enthusiast custom water cooling in the expensive++ enthusiast cpu / gpu market.

2. That market is small but profitable.

3. You not being able to understand this particular market does not mean it doesn't exist and/or doesn't deserve products.

Yeah I got up on the wrong foot, sue me.

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
My 290X will keep my house warm during the cold nights. I will consider a water cooled component when Spring/Summer rolls around.

spazoid

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
My 290X will keep my house warm during the cold nights. I will consider a water cooled component when Spring/Summer rolls around.

That makes no sense. If anything you should watercool it during winter to better remove the heat from the GPU so you can get the benefit of the removed heat in your house.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

While it's true that water cooling will provide better heat dissipation for your card, it won't change the total heat provided by it, so technically the same heat output will be dissipated to your room so overall it'll still get as warm as it is now.

Don't know if it's possible due to the dynamic nature of the card but the only way to decrease heat output is to undervolt.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Quote:

While it's true that water cooling will provide better heat dissipation for your card, it won't change the total heat provided by it, so technically the same heat output will be dissipated to your room so overall it'll still get as warm as it is now.

Don't know if it's possible due to the dynamic nature of the card but the only way to decrease heat output is to undervolt.

Water cooler will make more heat as the card will be cooler and willing to push more MHz

Because a block like that in a proper loop will far outperform what a H80i could ever hope to achieve. 300W of heat to be dissipated by a 120mm rad, using a weak pump with anti-freeze as your coolant. CLC's just cant touch a proper loop.

Ace0751

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
It was worth the long wait and for the price you can't go wrong with this block. I picked it up when they released it and it is a well made block. Although it does look a little weird not being all nickel but it gets the job done. With that stock fan it was running 75c under full load but now with the block on it's running at 35c under full load and this is stock settings.

Koolance did a great job with the waterblock and I can't wait to see how far I can overclock it.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I'm so anxious to upgrade right now. Probably will still go with the EK version though. If you are waiting for an all nickel block, you might want to wait a little longer for Heatkiller to release their series of blocks.

InvalidError

Titan

I think his point was more that in winter, his home is cold enough that air-cooling his GPU should be a non-issue but not in summer.

If the GPU is guzzling 200W, it will get however hot as it needs to get for its cooling to manage to transfer 200 joules per second from the HSF to air as long as that temperature is not hot enough to cause the GPU to roll back its power draw so, as far as its "space-heater" function is concerned, heatsink or water block makes little difference - same amount of heat getting into the air either way as long as the GPU is not having thermal throttling.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
If you want to heat your room, go with the water cooling. Part of the benefit of w.c over air is not just the efficiency of removing the heat from the device, but then moving that heat out of the case. Hence, you are likely to get higher ambient temps in the vicinity of a w.c case versus an air cooled one.

valuial

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Koolance, EK, all those overpriced plexiglass fan brand are still doing poor work comparing to watercool.de which is 90% of the time cheaper/stronger/ you name it... No way i'm buying this.

Status
Not open for further replies.