Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

A group of modders are restoring as much of the cut content as
possible for KOTOR2.

http://magestrix.com/K2End/

The only thing I don't understand is how they plan on
"remastering" the music to be better quality. If it's encoded in
low quality than re-encoding it at a higher bit rate won't make
it any better. mp3 is lossy compression. the data simply isn't on
the CDs we bought.

Personally, though, the cut ending being restored is enough for
me.

shadows wrote:

> A group of modders are restoring as much of the cut content as
> possible for KOTOR2.
>
> http://magestrix.com/K2End/
>
> The only thing I don't understand is how they plan on
> "remastering" the music to be better quality. If it's encoded in
> low quality than re-encoding it at a higher bit rate won't make
> it any better. mp3 is lossy compression. the data simply isn't on
> the CDs we bought.

They will probably rip it from the Star Wars sound tracks.

> Personally, though, the cut ending being restored is enough for
> me.

Agreed. Plus, Obsidian doesn't seem to want to release a patch :-/

shadows wrote:

> A group of modders are restoring as much of the cut content as
> possible for KOTOR2.
>
> http://magestrix.com/K2End/
>
> The only thing I don't understand is how they plan on
> "remastering" the music to be better quality. If it's encoded in
> low quality than re-encoding it at a higher bit rate won't make
> it any better. mp3 is lossy compression. the data simply isn't on
> the CDs we bought.

decent mp3 editing software can bring up the peak levels of the music,
which basicly just makes it sound louder. Thats probably what they mean
by "remastering".

--
DalienX

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message news:9r2dnW2nhKqpvs_fRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> shadows wrote:
>
>> A group of modders are restoring as much of the cut content as
>> possible for KOTOR2.
>>
>> http://magestrix.com/K2End/
>>
>> The only thing I don't understand is how they plan on
>> "remastering" the music to be better quality. If it's encoded in
>> low quality than re-encoding it at a higher bit rate won't make
>> it any better. mp3 is lossy compression. the data simply isn't on
>> the CDs we bought.
>
> They will probably rip it from the Star Wars sound tracks.

No, KOTOR2 for XBOX has higher quality sound tracks...I can't understand
why it got screwed up for PC version.

Peter

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-06, Peter Fisla <pfisla@rogers.com> wrote:

> No, KOTOR2 for XBOX has higher quality sound tracks...I can't understand
> why it got screwed up for PC version.

I was reading the website and apparently the person doing the
remastering got a sample from the composer and is using that to
figure out how to resample the original tracks. I'm not a sound
engineer but it sounds promising if he's able to do that.

I think customers fixing a game is probably an all time low for
the PC gaming industry. It happened with VTM: Bloodlines but they
eventually got their act together and released a patch that
mostly fixed the game. OE still hasn't released a patch and won't
be releasing a "content" patch either.

shadows wrote:

> I think customers fixing a game is probably an all time low for
> the PC gaming industry. It happened with VTM: Bloodlines but they
> eventually got their act together and released a patch that
> mostly fixed the game. OE still hasn't released a patch and won't
> be releasing a "content" patch either.

You really have to wonder what is taking so long for the patch. I think
that either OE isn't able to actually code a patch or they are waiting
for the controversy to die down and never release one.

KOTOR2 seems very similar to TOEE...good idea with piss poor execution.

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:51:12 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

[snip]

>I think customers fixing a game is probably an all time low for
>the PC gaming industry. It happened with VTM: Bloodlines but they
>eventually got their act together and released a patch that
>mostly fixed the game. OE still hasn't released a patch and won't
>be releasing a "content" patch either.

Maybe but thats not Obsidian's decision it was Lucasarts.