Kraken X61 Reinstall - Processor gunk

zonomo

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I have a Kraken X61 on an MSI Z170A M7 motherboard, which had to be replaced. I called NZXT and asked their support people if I needed to do anything special to remove the Kraken and they said to just take off the thumb screws - so I did. There is some thermal ge on both the Kraken and the processor. Now that I have a new motherboard, do I need to clean that off and reapply thermal gel or can I just reapply it and the heat will reseal it? If I have to remove it, how do I do that? Thanks.

Solution

Yes, you need to remove it. If not, you may experience higher CPu temperatures due to poorer heat transfer, which defeats the point of a CPU watercooler.

To remove it, all you have to do is rub it off with a small cloth soaked in...

Chayan4400

Honorable

Yes, you need to remove it. If not, you may experience higher CPu temperatures due to poorer heat transfer, which defeats the point of a CPU watercooler.

To remove it, all you have to do is rub it off with a small cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol. This you can get at any pharmacy, and is also sold as surgical spirits.

The common 70% rubbing alcohol would work just as well, the aromatic additives are safe for just about any surface and sublimate quickly to leave nothing behind.

The main reasons to use high-alcohol for cleaning are:
- dries up quickly.
- alcohol and distilled water are non-conductive.
- no minerals or other contaminants to cause corrosion and stains.
- alcohol and water mix can lift/dissolve a wider range of contaminants than either one alone.

Solution