Kraken x61 VERY LOUD cracking noise (Air Bubbles?)

TheMrIggs

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Well I just bought this liquid cooler (Kraken x61) and it ran silent for the first couple hours and then all of a sudden it started making a VERY noticible cracking noise. From what I've read online, all AIO liquid coolers have to have air in there to function properly and that's what I'm assuming is making that noise while being pumped through the tubes. A suggestion from other users online as well as NZXT support was to move the case on its side and see if it goes away, in which it did. I would honestly mount the radiator in a different position if it would fit anywhere else in my case. It is currently mounted like this http://www.overclock.net/t/1507890/nzxt-kraken-x61-installation (not a picture I took but was what I installed it based on). The only place I have room to mount it is ontop of the case (Phantom 820). Help?

My PC Specs:

Processor: AMD FX-8350

CPU Liquid Cooler: Kraken X61

RAM: x3 8Gb Kingston DDR3

System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Case: NZXT Phantom 820

Graphics card: ASUS STRIX GTX 1070

MotherBoard: MSI 970 GAMING

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250Gb

Primary Drive: WD Black 2Tb

Secondary Drive: WD Blue 500Gb

Solution
Air cycling is very temporary at best and only shows up during initial startup. It is possible, however, that the unit you just bought is older stock that's been sitting in a hot warehouse etc and the fluid has somewhat evaporated (oxygen molecules will still travel through the rubber tubing). This can cause noise, but it's usually constant from initial startup onwards,nit something that develops after a few hours.
The last option is a faulty diaphragm in the pump itself that's creating the noise and that noise is transmitted more through the liquid than the pump itself.

Either way, an RMA is in order, from place of purchase, and if there's an issue with that, contact nzxt directly. They are very good, to my experience, about making...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Air cycling is very temporary at best and only shows up during initial startup. It is possible, however, that the unit you just bought is older stock that's been sitting in a hot warehouse etc and the fluid has somewhat evaporated (oxygen molecules will still travel through the rubber tubing). This can cause noise, but it's usually constant from initial startup onwards,nit something that develops after a few hours.
The last option is a faulty diaphragm in the pump itself that's creating the noise and that noise is transmitted more through the liquid than the pump itself.

Either way, an RMA is in order, from place of purchase, and if there's an issue with that, contact nzxt directly. They are very good, to my experience, about making satisfied customers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS