Mobo: MSI Z170a Sli Plus
Cpu: i7 6700k
Gpu: 5700xt red devil
Ram: 4x4 Hyper X 2600 16 GB
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
Case: Lian Li PC 0 Dynamik
Fans: 6x Coolermaster Halo argb 120 mm
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1tb M.2. SSD

I have a question you can maybe help me answer. I didn't find the solution in the search options...

I have a Kraken X62 and now have 6 new Coolermaster Halo fans for the case. My pretty old MSI Z170a Sli Plus is pretty limited in terms of pwm control, so that I basically have to use a fan hub (in my case arctic 10 fan hub) to power and especially control all those fans. The problem is, that the AIO uses both remaining CPU Fan headers. The sys fan headers on this board won't allow me to regulate the speed of the case fans. Whatever I do, bios, speed fan etc. they are on 100 percent and frankly unbearable loud for non headphone use. That issue would only be solved by connecting the hub to one of the two cpu header. Now the price question... Can I put the pump fans on the hub (first slot to read out speed) and use the cpu header for the hub? Or put the hub in one of the x62 fan cable splitter? Don't eat me alive if this question sounds stupid to you. I'm just not sure at all and if there is no solution, well, that would be kinda bad ;) I'm happy for any hint or tipp! Because the volume drives me insane...

Best regards

Solution
In your mobo manual, look at p.62 on how to set fan header options. Make sure you have selected to adjust the particular SYS_FAN header your Hub is plugged into. At upper left click on the Smart Fan box so it will use its control functions. Now at lower right click on the middle option All Set Default. This will re-set the fan curve to the mobo maker's default settings. Now use the Esc key to get to the Main Menu (p. 40), then the F10 key to get to the Save and Exit Menu (p. 52). There choose Save Changes and Reboot to reboot with the new settings. This should provide the required PWM signal to your Hub so it can control your fans. If they still are all running full speed, check carefully the cable from the Hub to your mobo SYS_FAN...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Halo's are pwm fans. The Arctic 10 fan hub is pwm. Bios settings for the fans on that particular sys_fan header should be pwm. No reason why they won't be controllable except you will need to adjust the fan curve.

Being a sys_fan header, that's reliant (default) on motherboard temps, not cpu temps. So the case should rarely ever see temps over 50°C (ish). Depending on the exact settings (some are 2 point - high/low, some are 3 point - high/mid/low) you'll need to check what the actual duty cycle is. Many times, low is low, like 20% at 20°C, but goes to 100% at 30°C mid and 100% at 70°C high. Kinda dumb, but that's what mine at stock bios settings are.
Your mobo/case temps will be 30°C+, so in that sense the fans end up always at 100%

Dec 13, 2020
Thank you for the quick answer! So, excuse my ignorance, when I try to change the curve in bios, it won't even stop to go 100 percent when I basically zero out the curve. And there is no option in my bios to change anything besides the curve. So now I am basically stuck with those high noise levels? Sorry for asking. I don't understand too well what you mean :/ And sync them with the cpu fans would be no option to get them a little less noisy? I really want to keep those fans cause they are quite nice, but with this problem it would be no option ...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In your mobo manual, look at p.62 on how to set fan header options. Make sure you have selected to adjust the particular SYS_FAN header your Hub is plugged into. At upper left click on the Smart Fan box so it will use its control functions. Now at lower right click on the middle option All Set Default. This will re-set the fan curve to the mobo maker's default settings. Now use the Esc key to get to the Main Menu (p. 40), then the F10 key to get to the Save and Exit Menu (p. 52). There choose Save Changes and Reboot to reboot with the new settings. This should provide the required PWM signal to your Hub so it can control your fans. If they still are all running full speed, check carefully the cable from the Hub to your mobo SYS_FAN header to ensure it is making good contact, especially on Pin #4 which carries the PWM signal.

Solution