Question Kraken X62 cooling questions (with 570x crystal case)

Mar 15, 2019
So I just recently built my first PC, and i was having some issues with size constraints within my build. Supposedly if you use a Kracken X62 aio with a Corsair 570x, and a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra (or similar Aorus), the X62 won't fit top mounted in the case due to a heat sink at the top of the motherboard preventing the Radiator/Fan combo from fitting.

I was able to make this it end up fitting by removing one of the Fans from the radiator, so now I have it mounted to the top of the case with a single 140mm fan attached. I thought I should probably counteract this loss and buy another fan, so I bought a Corsair Pro Magnetic Levitation fan (120mm) and was planning to attach it to the back as a rear outtake.

I should also mention the Corsair 570x case comes with a 3x120mm fan intake at the front of the case.

My questions relating to this are:
  • What individual effect does removing the fan from the radiator cause in terms of performance?
  • Does the addition of a rear outtake fan like I mentioned adequately compensate for any cooling lost with the removal of the radiator fan?
  • Would stress testing without that additional fan be fine?
My Build:
  • CPU: Intel i7 9700k
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC gaming
  • RAM: 2x16 G-skill Trident z
  • PSU: Corsair 1000Hx 80+ platinum
  • SSD(M2): Samsung 970 Evo Plus
  • AIO: NZXT kraken X62

Mar 15, 2019
If you're taking the fans off of the radiator, you might as well not use the radiator whatsoever. There's no way you're going to compensate cooling the liquid in the AIO with any number of fans elsewhere in the system.

Even if i left one of the two fans on the radiator?

Edit: how is that any different than if i was using the X42 which has a single Fan and 140mm radiator, except my radiator has a ton of extra surface area to get rid of heat?

Last edited:
The dissipation of heat will pretty much not take place if there's not a fan. You can definitely test with 1 fan, you are correct, it should perform much like the X42, maybe marginally better. You'll have the extra fan size worth of surface area, but it's an extremely inefficient way of cooling.

If it all interested, the Sketchy Heatsinks series by Linus could give some more in depth info about this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6JMSrqiQo

Mar 15, 2019
The dissipation of heat will pretty much not take place if there's not a fan. You can definitely test with 1 fan, you are correct, it should perform much like the X42, maybe marginally better. You'll have the extra fan size worth of surface area, but it's an extremely inefficient way of cooling.

If it all interested, the Sketchy Heatsinks series by Linus could give some more in depth info about this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6JMSrqiQo
I'll check it out.

At this point my AIO is pretty much sunk cost considering I already mounted it and it seems to be running. If it works as well as the X42 like that I figure I might as well just leave it there.

My other options are removing the front fans and attaching the radiator assembly there, and then redistributing the other fans throughout the case similar to this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/zXbXsY

You could try returning it. In some cases they actually take it back.

Your other plan though. As far as I'm aware 570X cases do take 140mm fans so can also take 140 wide rads. Be aware that you can only place 2 fans (the ones needed for your rad) as the third one simply won't fit anymore. It'll look totally botched...