[SOLVED] Kraken x62 help

Feb 2, 2020
I am installing the kraken x62 into a h510 elite case and am currently stuck. I am using the rgb fans that came already on the case, not the fans that came with the cooler, so I’m wondering where I plug in the fan connectors. The fans on the case are already plugged into the controller on the back of the case, so I’m not seeing anywhere to plug in the connectors.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Solution
Yes, you can connect the RGB fans the the motherboards RGB header and create a fan curve (in some BIOSes or temperature and rpm thresholds in other BIOSes). This way, the fan RPM will still adjust RPM according to temperature readings (as long as you can set the temperature reference to CPU temp instead of case temp)

Otherwise, there might be some software for the motherboard or maybe some 3rd party software that can work in a similar way to the NZXT Cam software, and adjust both your fans' RPM and RGB settings according to CPU temp, but I personally don't use software of that type, so I can't recommend anything specific. It has also been a very long time since I used a fan controller, so I'm not very familiar with the options...

Hurk

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
I just installed the Kraken x62 on a brand new machine just built this week I am using the x299 Asus Prime Edition 30 motherboard which had a port that the pump tach goes to the AIO pump and the two cables coming from the radiator go into CPU fan and CPU optional and my motherboard came with an external fan controller that can utilize up to 6 fans with each of the case fans plugging into their it also provided the RGB headers and thermistor temperature cables. I have the radiator at the top with the fans that come with a cooler below it. When I first powered on I was getting around of 26 Celsius reading now that I've got the machine loaded up it seems to be a 37° c average

The fans on the radiator needs to be plugged into the wire that comes off the pump, that has 4 PWM connectors (you only need to attach 4 PWM fans if you run a push/pull configuration, otherwise only 2 connectors will be used). This way you can control the fan RPM in the NZXT Cam software, along with pump settings. I doesn't matter if you run the motherboard connector from the CPU fan header or a dedicated AiO pump header on the motherboard. I have both types of connectors on my motherboard, and I have been experimenting with which header works best, and I get completely identical performance and pump rpm.

However you CAN attach the fans directly to the motherboards chassis fan headers. I did experiment with that only a week ago, when I wanted to use some Noctua Industrial fans that didn't work with the Kraken x62, but it doesn't work particularly well, in spite of creating custom fan settings in the motherboard BIOS, so I went back to using the original fans connected to the x62 cooler which works a lot better.

I can't recommend using fans on the radiator, that are not controlled by the Cam software, although you might have more success than I did. But it certainly requires some effort have it setup so it works well. I gave in after almost 2 weeks of experimenting and changing BIOS settings with warying degrees of succes. It DID work, but it runs better when using the Kraken x62 dedicated conmnetors and software.

But as far as I'm aware, you can't control any RGB lighting on fans attached to the Kraken x62, so if that is essential, you will need to come up with a good alternative way to control the fans with regards to temperature and so on.

Feb 2, 2020
The fans on the radiator needs to be plugged into the wire that comes off the pump, that has 4 PWM connectors (you only need to attach 4 PWM fans if you run a push/pull configuration, otherwise only 2 connectors will be used). This way you can control the fan RPM in the NZXT Cam software, along with pump settings. I doesn't matter if you run the motherboard connector from the CPU fan header or a dedicated AiO pump header on the motherboard. I have both types of connectors on my motherboard, and I have been experimenting with which header works best, and I get completely identical performance and pump rpm.

However you CAN attach the fans directly to the motherboards chassis fan headers. I did experiment with that only a week ago, when I wanted to use some Noctua Industrial fans that didn't work with the Kraken x62, but it doesn't work particularly well, in spite of creating custom fan settings in the motherboard BIOS, so I went back to using the original fans connected to the x62 cooler which works a lot better.

I can't recommend using fans on the radiator, that are not controlled by the Cam software, although you might have more success than I did. But it certainly requires some effort have it setup so it works well. I gave in after almost 2 weeks of experimenting and changing BIOS settings with warying degrees of succes. It DID work, but it runs better when using the Kraken x62 dedicated conmnetors and software.

But as far as I'm aware, you can't control any RGB lighting on fans attached to the Kraken x62, so if that is essential, you will need to come up with a good alternative way to control the fans with regards to temperature and so on.
So are you saying that I need to use the two fans that came with the cooler, and install those onto to the radiator, instead of the rgb fans that came with the case? Is there no way to use the rgb fans?

Yes, you can connect the RGB fans the the motherboards RGB header and create a fan curve (in some BIOSes or temperature and rpm thresholds in other BIOSes). This way, the fan RPM will still adjust RPM according to temperature readings (as long as you can set the temperature reference to CPU temp instead of case temp)

Otherwise, there might be some software for the motherboard or maybe some 3rd party software that can work in a similar way to the NZXT Cam software, and adjust both your fans' RPM and RGB settings according to CPU temp, but I personally don't use software of that type, so I can't recommend anything specific. It has also been a very long time since I used a fan controller, so I'm not very familiar with the options available, but I'm sure someone else can recommend something.

But from my own testing, the stock fans and NZXT Cam software provides the best solution when it comes to the Kraken x62 - and I say that, eventhough I'm not particularly impressed by the Cam software, and I previously have always put Noctua Industrial fans on the AiO's I've owned, but they do not work with the Kraken x62 due to various differences in the fan design (minimum RPM settings among other things). I wasn't aware of that until I tried swapping the fans just a few weeks ago, but from internet forums I can tell this has been an issue for years with NZXT AiOs.
But I really wanted to use those Noctua fans, which is why I tried multiple solutions trying to run the fans off the motherboard headers instead - and I still came to the conclusion, that this particular AiO works best with stock setup.

But I really hope you can maybe find someone who had better luck setting the Kraken x62 up with RGB fans. But I suspect, from my own experience, that you will have to fiddle with it for a while, until you find the best setup - with different fans, it's not really a plug 'n play thing.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS