[SOLVED] Kraken x62 not powering Noctua NF-A14s

froukan

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I've done tons of searching for a solution to my specific problem and have been unable to find an answer. I've seen a lot of posts regarding the Kraken and Noctua fans, but none of them have solved my issue.

I bought 4 Noctua NF-A14's (iPPC-3000 PWM) to use in push/pull configuration on my Kraken x62 radiator. The Kraken is not powering the fans. The fans work fine if I plug them into one of my mobo headers. For some reason, they will also work if I unplug the usb cable from my Kraken pump. From what I've read, I don't want to leave that usb cable unplugged, though. I've tried lowering the cpu minimum fan speed in my bios. I also tried the "silent" profile in the CAM software. Kraken firmware is 5.2.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Solution
if you really want to use all 4 AF14s, just let the motherboard control all of them, or get a good 3rd party fan controller hub, with a profile based on CPU temps. and let the NZXT software control the pump.
i have seen a lot of reports out there of the same problem when using the Kraken coolers. most claim that they have to set fans over 50% in the software for them to start spinning and even then many still claim they have issues with erratic fluctuations with the fan speeds creating a lot of noise. no updates from NZXT about how to fix the issue.

do the default fans provided with the cooler suffer the same issue?

froukan

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2015
i have seen a lot of reports out there of the same problem when using the Kraken coolers. most claim that they have to set fans over 50% in the software for them to start spinning and even then many still claim they have issues with erratic fluctuations with the fan speeds creating a lot of noise. no updates from NZXT about how to fix the issue.

do the default fans provided with the cooler suffer the same issue?

Thank you for your response! The stock fans work just fine. I've tried setting the CAM fan settings above 50%, and that still isn't powering the a14s.

I've also been lots of reading, and found that a firmware upgrade fixed this issue for most people. For whatever reason, I have the latest firmware and still can't get these fans working with the kraken pwm cable.