Question Kraken X62 sounds like it's moving water but doesn't work

SPDESIGNS

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
I've had my computer for the better part of a year now and today when i first turned it on, i noticed in the BIOS that the CPU temp was reaching 100C+ thus resulting in a shut down. The Radiator's fans are moving, the case's fans are moving, i cleaned the dust from everything, remounted the block, reapplied the thermal paste (MX-4), checked the cables and everything looks fine. I can hear some water sounds coming from inside the cooling block but nothing seems to be moving to and from the radiator. I'm trying to figure out if it's fixable without an RMA since these things take too long and i've already replaced my previous X62 one. Here's a link to a recording i created so that you can hear the water sounds. I know it's not the best quality and that the fan sounds may overlap it a bit, but you can hear it after i click the start button on my pc for a bit. Water recording . Any ideas?
PC Specs:
CPU: RYZEN 1800X
GPU: GTX 1080 TI
COOLER: NZXT KRAKEN X62(i think)
MOBO: ASROCK X370 TAICHI
PSU: Seasonic 750W 90 Gold
RAM: 2x8GB G. Skillz 3600 MHz
2 SSDs
1 NVME SSD

SPDESIGNS

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
I hear fans. What am I listening for?

Was the PC moved or shaken, or was it stationary from one day to the next?
You should be able to slightly listen the water in the Background (sorry it's not loud enough). It was in transit for like 7 hours but stationary for the rest of those 3 days. I also covered it with protective foam and had it in a non shaky suitcase.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like you have an airlock in the pump. When the system is powered on, tap the pump and move the tubing...you can even tilt the case side to side. What likely is happening is an air pocket has become trapped in the pump and since liquid cooling pumps usually do very poorly at pumping air, it isn't able to dislodge the air to continue coolant circulation.

Nearly all AIOs have some air in them, otherwise, you would never hear a sloshing sound when you shake them. It also would never be an issue like this if all air was displaced by coolant.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What rubix_1011 suggests above to move the air bubble may help. But really, there should not be an air bubble trapped in the liquid system. Some coolant must have been lost. Contact Tech Support at NZXT and ask how to refill your system, or how they can ship you a new system if it cannot be refilled easily.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You typically cannot refill coolant in most AIO's, although some do 'support' the ability to do so...NZXT usually is not one of them. Nearly all AIOs I have tested slosh when shaken - meaning - there is air inside them.

If they did not slosh, they would be completely filled with coolant, and no place for the coolant to hit against the sides of the radiator to make sounds.

Most AIOs are filled as full as possible with the idea that air bubbles will accumulate into the radiator tanks. Which, this is also not the most ideal, since this means coolant cannot make contact with the radiator to exchange thermal load, which is why a reservoir is used for custom watercooling loops - to give air a place to go, get trapped and displaced with more coolant.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Liquids by themselves don't make sound while moving. The pump might, air might, but not liquids.

You moved the pc. It was turned on its side long enough for air trapped in the radiator to travel down the tubing to the pump, and most likely the pump is either level or above the lowest part of the tubing.

The fix is painless and easy. Turn on the pc and run a light program to get the pump rpm up. Then slowly tilt the radiator mounted side of the case (front/back, not side to side) until the tubing is all above the pump as is the rad. Within a short while, air will do what air does and float to the top of the loop, sloshing sound will go away. Slowly allow the case back to rest so the air will follow the tubing and back into the radiator.

SPDESIGNS

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
You typically cannot refill coolant in most AIO's, although some do 'support' the ability to do so...NZXT usually is not one of them. Nearly all AIOs I have tested slosh when shaken - meaning - there is air inside them.

If they did not slosh, they would be completely filled with coolant, and no place for the coolant to hit against the sides of the radiator to make sounds.

Most AIOs are filled as full as possible with the idea that air bubbles will accumulate into the radiator tanks. Which, this is also not the most ideal, since this means coolant cannot make contact with the radiator to exchange thermal load, which is why a reservoir is used for custom watercooling loops - to give air a place to go, get trapped and displaced with more coolant.
I tried what you mentioned earlier but with no luck. It kept a steady temp of 94.5C for like 10 minutes but shut down after that. If there is an airlock in there i don't see how i can make it "pop". I shaked the case, touched the pumps and moved them but nothing so far

SPDESIGNS

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Liquids by themselves don't make sound while moving. The pump might, air might, but not liquids.

You moved the pc. It was turned on its side long enough for air trapped in the radiator to travel down the tubing to the pump, and most likely the pump is either level or above the lowest part of the tubing.

The fix is painless and easy. Turn on the pc and run a light program to get the pump rpm up. Then slowly tilt the radiator mounted side of the case (front/back, not side to side) until the tubing is all above the pump as is the rad. Within a short while, air will do what air does and float to the top of the loop, sloshing sound will go away. Slowly allow the case back to rest so the air will follow the tubing and back into the radiator.
Just did what you said and managed to get inside. right now this is whay I'm getting but the temp keeps going up slowly.Here's an img