Question Kraken X63 280mm or Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT (360mm) for i7 10700k???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hey guys,

I just dont know which AIO I should get for my i7 10700k??? (I have the BeQuiet Pure Base 600 as a Case)
Which of the above mentioned AIOs is louder? I would want a very quiet one.
And is 280mm sufficient for cooling my i7 10700k ?(No intention of overclocking)
And where would be the best place to connect the Radiator? On the top or the front?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok so sorry If i ask again but I dont get it quite.

So first of all : I should put the radiator to the front with PULL air not PUSH air, and the top Lid is closed. And then watch the thermals.
If the CPU or GPU get too hot,
I will mount the Radiator on the top and open the Top Lid completly right?

Thats the two options for mounting the rad. And I shouldnt use the PUSH option for the front, because i only have 2 small air vents right?

And if I get the 3080 someday, i should use 2 x 140mm fans for the top and open the top lid. Or I put the radiator of the watercooling there and let the air push out.

I hope I got it right this time

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I should put the radiator to the front with PULL air not PUSH air, and the top Lid is closed. And then watch the thermals.
Yes.

I will mount the Radiator on the top and open the Top Lid completly right?
No. The radiator stays where it is.
You open that top lid up and add exhaust fans up there. Done.

And I shouldnt use the PUSH option for the front, because i only have 2 small air vents right?
That, plus the wall in front of them. Fans draw air in a conical shape in front of them. You'll give them more 'breathing room' positioning them further away from said wall.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
No. The radiator stays where it is.
You open that top lid up and add exhaust fans up there. Done.

Ah ok so you mean for that setup the radiator at the front with Pull?
I hope I can work that with the top lid closed and no exhaust fans there, because it gets really noisey then.
But If the CPU or GPU gets too hot I guess I'll have no other choice

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@Phaaze88
Ok theres only one thing I dont get almost everyone is using the push configuration altough their front panel is also closed, so shouldnt I use push also?
And many say its important that that the pump is always below the highest point of the radiator, so the tubes which come out of the radiator are the highest point, others say its wrong. So how should I place it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@SteveBeast
We had discussed the first one several posts back: You can't SHOULDN'T use push config, because the PB600 has a solid wall in the front, with some lil' 'cracks' on the sides.
You give the fans more breathing room positioning them further from said wall.

Tubes down is preferable, but sometimes, the tubing isn't long enough to do it.

Tubes up is OK - for a time. Over time, more and more noise will be made from the inlet side of the radiator(air is collecting there) as fluid permeates the tubing.
This is one of the reasons I do not like 360mm AIOs, as that's the only way to mount them at the front.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@Phaaze88

Ok thanks again.

1. I will use the pull configurations and mount the fans on the radiator so that they pull the air in through the case out of the back?

2. Ok so if I can I should go with tubes down (I'll try) and pay attention that the top of the radiator is still higher than the pump right?

And if that doesnt work I'll use the tubes up option , and it still should be fine right?

3. Just discovered that I can only mount an 280 aio at the front, not the top. And at the front only without a 5,25 inch bay, what i dont know what it means, but it's in my manual.does that mean I can only mount the fans?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok thanks.

But does it really matter much if the tubes are up or down. Is there a significant noise or temperature difference?
I see so many with tubes up, and others say tubes down is much better for the aio that I'm confused honestly. Do you have a clear recommendation or just say it doesnt matter that much because now I'm about to install the aio :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Give it time, and you'll find out. It's impossible to give you a concrete answer due to the difference in hearing sensitivity between individuals.
All I could say is that it'll be louder 3 years down the road. Whether it'll bother you or not, impossible to tell.

I see so many with tubes up, and others say tubes down is much better for the aio that I'm confused honestly. Do you have a clear recommendation or just say it doesnt matter that much because now I'm about to install the aio :)
I just explained this in post #35. There's nothing more to it than that... well, if I forgot anything, it's that tubes down avoids the extra noise that'll pop up over time from the tubes up position.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Give it time, and you'll find out. It's impossible to give you a concrete answer due to the difference in hearing sensitivity between individuals.
All I could say is that it'll be louder 3 years down the road. Whether it'll bother you or not, impossible to tell.

I just explained this in post #35. There's nothing more to it than that... well, if I forgot anything, it's that tubes down avoids the extra noise that'll pop up over time from the tubes up position.
Ok btw can I use my two 140mm bequiet fans , which I had on my front until now, and mount them with the 2 kraken fans on the radiator for a push and pull configuration?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ah yeah right but because of the wall, so what do people who make those configurations do? Do they have mesh walls or more air vents? I cant use another front panel right?

And if I do the pull config I mean it also pulls air from the front only less then with push pull right? So it also pulls air from these little air vents or do I get it wrong?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ah yeah right but because of the wall, so what do people who make those configurations do? Do they have mesh walls or more air vents?
They have mesh, which it works best with... or they don't, not realizing that the front fans aren't doing anything worthwhile, and the rear fans are doing all the work.

I cant use another front panel right?
Did be quiet! make another panel for it? I don't believe so.

And if I do the pull config I mean it also pulls air from the front only less then with push pull right?
No. The purpose behind push-pull is not performance, but noise.
It has no real benefits on AIO radiators, because they're not thick enough.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
I encountered a little problem now. If I install the radiator at the front it heavily pushes the cables for the power button, hdd signal etc. to the top. Should I still install it or should I put out my hdd tray and put the radiator more to the bottom?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Yeah but then the top of the radiator would be below the pump, and I read everywhere you should not do that because there could get air into the pump.

Can I mount the fans in front of the rad and let the air put through the rad?