Question Kraken X63 280mm or Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT (360mm) for i7 10700k???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hey guys,

I just dont know which AIO I should get for my i7 10700k??? (I have the BeQuiet Pure Base 600 as a Case)
Which of the above mentioned AIOs is louder? I would want a very quiet one.
And is 280mm sufficient for cooling my i7 10700k ?(No intention of overclocking)
And where would be the best place to connect the Radiator? On the top or the front?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Can I not try it like this

View: https://imgur.com/49GJHPv

And let the air pull through the radiator. Or is this an hindrance?
If I put the fans like in my above picture just before the radiator and let the air being pulled through the radiator it still goes through the case out of the back right?
Or can I not try that?
I dont want to ruin the aio because I had the pump above the radiator
Or I push the cables to the top

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Sorry did I say something wrong? Would that not be a good solution?
I just watched a video of jatwocents and he says as longs as the pump is in same height or below the top of the rad it's fine, but that's the problem.
Maybe I should get a 360 aio which I can mount on the top? It sucks

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@Phaaze88

1.Thanks again for all you help and sorry for the misunderstanding.
I actually got it to work with the pull configuration and the tubes down, and the top of the radiator is above the pump.
I have a little problem tough.
I connected the pump to the CPU Fan connector of the mobo and the radiator fans to the SYS Fan connector.
Is that correct?, because the radiator fans are spinning very fast and I cant control them in the bios because they are system fans.
Should I rather put the pump into the pump fan connector and the radiator fans into the CPU fan connector? It's a bit confusing and I dont know what to connect where. And my motherboard has no AIO Pump header only pump header.
And should I keep the settings for the pump control in the bios?
I already downloaded nxzt cam software but I saw nothing where I could control the pump or the radiation fans?

2. And that's not that bad, but my pump is making a tapping noise, it's not that loud but noticeable. should I wait and see if it disappears?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
1. Yeah it says pump cable to CPU fan connector which I did. And for the radiator fans it says only check your manual for your fan connectors. and that would be system fan connector I guess. But then I cant control the radiator fans, and they're spinning all the time at full speed. Do you think I could try out pump to the pump fan connector and radiator fans to CPU fan connector?

2,ok I'll try

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For 'pull', what you want is the fans on the inside of the case, the radiator sandwiched between the fans and the case front. The fans only spin in 1 direction, so the airflow is in 1 direction. The air goes in the 'pretty' side of the fan, and out the 'ugly' side. The pretty side is where you see nothing but the hub cap and fan blades, the ugly side has the wire and hub hold plastic arms etc. For pull, the fan is oriented where all you see is the ugly back of the fan, the pretty side is attached to the rad, the rad attached to the front of the case.

As a side benefit, pull is not affected by turbulence, that only happens in push where airflow meets resistance from something like a rad. So at lower rpms, you'll get better actual airflow through the rad, making it more effective at cooling, and as a side benefit of orientation, an unrestricted airflow facing directly into the gpu, 50mm± closer to the gpu than just fans alone mounted inside the front of the case. Win-win situation.

With push mount (like your picture), airflow is forced through the rad, but as a consequence loses a ton of static pressure. You'll get air volume, but it's got very little force behind it, so is greatly affected by the rear exhaust fans, so will end up mostly bypassing the gpu.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok thanks for all the help guys,

Here's the layout of my mobo. So as you can see I dont have aio pump connector.
And it states (my manual) I should plug the pump into either CPU fan connector or aio pump connector, but says nothing about the pump connector that I have. Do I need get a warning when the pump fails if I connect it to that? Or is it only for custom builds? And I guess they mean connect the radiator fans to sys fans connector because it says only look in the manual. But as I said I cant control them then. So my guess was maybe pump into pump connector and rad fans into CPU fan, but I dont know if the pump fan will let the pump run at 100 percent all the time and if that is even good, because it doesnt say in the manual to connect to that. And I guess the rad fans shouldnt run 100 percent all the time right, like when plugged into sys fan connector? I know it's a lot to ask, but I didnt find any solution in the web, theres a ton of different opinions of where to plug it into and i dint want to destroy the pump.
So should the pump run at 100 percent all the time and can I even control that when connected to CPU fan header?

View: https://imgur.com/a/Zzhk2pl

Last edited:

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok I have the pump on CPU fan with pwm and smart fan mode, set in the bios, should i go with full speed?

And the radiator fans are on sys fan 6 with DC and smart fan mode, i think that controls it is this ok?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok tested the pump with cyberpunk after a while I got the same temps as my air cooler and the GPU is getting hotter 75+.
Also the pump is making a constant humming sound. It's frustrating.
Disabled smart fan mode so the pump could work 100 percent, also disabled it for the fans. But it's still loud as hell.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Run the software. Don't try manually setting speeds. The pump will speed up according to the software registered temps and usage. The fans will speed up as well. This way at idle the pump/fans are minimum speeds and when tortured the pump/fans are maximum. Just leave it on silent mode, that cooler is more than enough for your cpu, does not require performance mode.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Run the software. Don't try manually setting speeds. The pump will speed up according to the software registered temps and usage. The fans will speed up as well. This way at idle the pump/fans are minimum speeds and when tortured the pump/fans are maximum.
Yeah I have nzxt cam software, and I disabled in the bios the smart fan mode for the pump and the rad fans. The pump is on pwm and the rad fans on DC mode.
And the only option this software gives me is the pump regulation with silent, performance and fixed. But regardless of what I choose the fans are still loud and the pump is humming, and the temps are not much different from my air cooler.
Btw I set water cooling as default in the bios. and gpu is getting hotter I guess because of pull config

Here's the sound of the pump:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/H84BW

Yeah I have nzxt cam software, and I disabled in the bios the smart fan mode for the pump and the rad fans. The pump is on pwm and the rad fans on DC mode.
And the only option this software gives me is the pump regulation with silent, performance and fixed. But regardless of what I choose the fans are still loud and the pump is humming, and the temps are not much different from my air cooler.
Btw I set water cooling as default in the bios. and gpu is getting hotter I guess because of pull config

Here's the sound of the pump:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/H84BW

Pump should be plugged to pump fan connector, this should be set to 100% constant.

Radiator fans should be connected to cpu fan connector - these can be left on a standard temp curve as any other cpu cooler would.

Reactions: Vic 40

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ah ok because I thought because the manual said connect the pump either to CPU fan or aio pump. And I heard pump fan is better for custom builds and it doesnt show when the pump is broken like when connected to CPU fan.
And I connected the radiator fans to sys fan, because it said in the manual connect it to fan connector, more was not said.
So I had the pump on CPU fan and the fans on sys fan for one day and yeah the fans were always loud.
So what I thought is: I connect the pump to cpu fan, disable the smart fan mode, this should let the pump run at 100 percent right?
And I ordered a nzxt fan controller device where I connect the radiator fans and 2 case fans so I can control it in windows. Would that be a good idea?

Ah ok because I thought because the manual said connect the pump either to CPU fan or aio pump. And I heard pump fan is better for custom builds and it doesnt show when the pump is broken like when connected to CPU fan.
And I connected the radiator fans to sys fan, because it said in the manual connect it to fan connector, more was not said.
So I had the pump on CPU fan and the fans on sys fan for one day and yeah the fans were always loud.
So what I thought is: I connect the pump to cpu fan, disable the smart fan mode, this should let the pump run at 100 percent right?
And I ordered a nzxt fan controller device where I connect the radiator fans and 2 case fans so I can control it in windows. Would that be a good idea?

Theoretically it's OK how you have it.

I honestly don't think you need the nzxt fan controller, from a gimmick standpoint it's a nice addition but you already have a decent board with a decent number of fan connectors.

That pump fan header on the board is there specifically for aio pumps, the fans on the rad are technically cpu fans.

In that respect I personally would still have the pump connected to the pump header, and the fans connected to the cpu header because for your actual board it's 'technically' the correct way to have it.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok but why do they say in the manual then connect the pump to the CPU fan or the aio fan, but not the pump fan? Because after researching, pump header and aio pump header are different things, and aio pump header is apparently only on newer boards.
And is it better to have the pump running at 100 percent all the time? If smart mode is disabled it should run 100 percent right?
But I read the pump header is for custom watercooling pumps, and aio pump header for aio pumps. And if your board doesnt have aio pump header you should plug it into CPU fan header and not pump fan header, it's very confusing honestly. I dont want to damage anything.
And if I would get the nzxt fan controller and connect the rad fans there, where would you connect the aio pump then? Sorry for the many questions :)

Ok but why do they say in the manual then connect the pump to the CPU fan or the aio fan, but not the pump fan? Because after researching, pump header and aio pump header are different things, and aio pump header is apparently only on newer boards.
And is it better to have the pump running at 100 percent all the time? If smart mode is disabled it should run 100 percent right?
But I read the pump header is for custom watercooling pumps, and aio pump header for aio pumps. And if your board doesnt have aio pump header you should plug it into CPU fan header and not pump fan header, it's very confusing honestly. I dont want to damage anything.
And if I would get the nzxt fan controller and connect the rad fans there, where would you connect the aio pump then? Sorry for the many questions :)

What's your actually motherboard model?

Re - pump speeds, you don't necessarily want them running at 100%, but what you do want is a constant pump speed rather than it constantly varying depending on temps.

Some people can run an aio pump at 20-30% if they've overcompensated on their cooling requirements.

Some aio pumps can actually have a more irritating noise at lower speeds (as can some fans).

Experimentation is key here, I'm fairly certain you can likely control pump and fan speeds from within windows using your boards fan control software for testing purposes and then hard set the most preferable option in bios.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
I've got the MSI z490 a pro.
Ok but if I want the pump connected to CPU fan I can disable smart fan mode and it should run at a constant rate right?
Is there a guide what the best pump speed is?
And when I connect it to the pump header the pump will automatically run constant and I dont have to set anything manually?
And in nzxt cam I can set the pump either to silent or performance mode.
What's the best?
For the fans I have the nzxt controller tough where I'm currently thinking about a fan curve.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
OK I got the Fan Controller installed now and the Pump is connected to Pump Fan.
I'll show you the options (heres the pictures):

View: https://imgur.com/a/rNvrMV5

I always hear set the pump to a constant rate, so at my Silent curve as you can see it isnt constant.
So to what should i set the curve? At 100 Percent I can clearly hear the pump. Should I set it to constant 75 Percent?

And on the second picture you can see the fan curve of the radiator fans?
Should i leave them at the standard settings ?

And btw is it normal that Hwinfo64 shows my CPU Temp at 49, and NZXT CAM shows 40 Degrees?

Last edited:
OK I got the Fan Controller installed now and the Pump is connected to Pump Fan.
I'll show you the options (heres the pictures):

View: https://imgur.com/a/rNvrMV5

I always hear set the pump to a constant rate, so at my Silent curve as you can see it isnt constant.
So to what should i set the curve? At 100 Percent I can clearly hear the pump. Should I set it to constant 75 Percent?

And on the second picture you can see the fan curve of the radiator fans?
Should i leave them at the standard settings ?

And btw is it normal that Hwinfo64 shows my CPU Temp at 49, and NZXT CAM shows 40 Degrees?

Pump should be fine at 75% if you're OK with the noise at that setting.

The fan curve?, it's OK, I'd do it more gradual personally.

I'd slope off from 50c at 50% to 75% at 70c

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
1.Ok sounds good, so it's ok if the pump runs at constant, fixed 75 percent, and it will do no harm? but just to be sure pump should be at a constant, fixed curve right?

And if the pump is too loud could I still set it to constant 50 percent or would that be too low?

2. Ok I'll try the fan curve you mentioned for the radiator fans.

3. And should I also set my exhaust fan at the top of the PC to the same rate as my radiator fans, or should I set it to a constant rate?
And the exhaust fan at the rear is not connected to the fan controller, should I also set a curve for that one?

4.theres 2 weird things. Altough I have the fan curve set to very low and to silent level it's still very noisy when doing desktop stuff. And when alt stabbing out of a game the fans ramp up and get louder.
And secondly hwinfo64 shows 49 degrees for the CPU and nzxt cam shows 40 degrees, is that normal?

5. And last the pump fan should be set to CPU not liquid in nzxt cam right?

6. and since a little while the pump is making a decent but hearable humming sound, which is even hearable if i set the pump curve really low.
I laid my case on the backside today, to install the rgb controller from nzxt, of course with the aio installed. could that have caused any issues?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS