[SOLVED] Kraken z73 cpu fan error

Nik1120

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Hey guys, so i recently got a new pc (prebuilt, cause of the gpu situation). I got an asus z590F motherboard with an i9 10850k and a kraken z73 cooler. Recently when i booted it, I got a cpu fan speed error. It was a one time thing and I haven't gotten it since. But im slightly worried about it. Do you think it was just a quirk or? Im confident everything is plugged in correctly.

Solution
okay i mean its fluctuating, now its 2300... Is it not supposed to change depending on cpu tems?
No...you always want pumps at full speed, constantly. It will fluctuate a little bit, though, as the +12V will change since regulation isn't perfect. I'd find the BIOS settings for fan profiles and adjust the profile for the CPU fan (pump) to DC control, constant +12V for all temps.
So it's pre-built...that means all too often incorrectly built. They may have connected the AIO pump to a case fan header or even a Molex plug on the PSU; it should be connected to the CPU FAN header or PUMP header. And it should be adjusted for 100% speed all the time...or 12V...because that's what pumps need. If attached directly to a PSU molex plug won't do any harm, you'll just get cpu fan warnings since nothing's on a CPU fan or pump header. But if it's on a case fan header and not adjusted for 100% or 12V output to the pump it won't cool effectively, or could harm some AIO pumps.

Reactions: Nik1120
Hey man thanks for your fast reply. The pump is connected to the cpu fan header so no worries, there.
GREAT...some pre-builts get it right at least. You should be able to monitor pump RPM in any of several utilities, so if you continue to get spurious alarms yet RPM is always good you might just disable the alarm. You should be able to do that in BIOS...where you also check to make sure pump is on DC control, constant 12V.

Nik1120

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
GREAT...some pre-builts get it right at least. You should be able to monitor pump RPM in any of several utilities, so if you continue to get spurious alarms yet RPM is always good you might just disable the alarm.
All right, Thanks man. Im mainly just worried that there is some problem that may get worse over time. But my rpms are fine currently at 1900.

Nik1120

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
I'm not to certain about Kraken AIO's but most of the ones I've seen have pump RPM around 3000. I'd check BIOS fan profiles to make certain it's full speed. If it's set to get 12V all the time then it is what it is.
okay i mean its fluctuating, now its 2300... Is it not supposed to change depending on cpu tems?

No...you always want pumps at full speed, constantly. It will fluctuate a little bit, though, as the +12V will change since regulation isn't perfect. I'd find the BIOS settings for fan profiles and adjust the profile for the CPU fan (pump) to DC control, constant +12V for all temps.

Solution