BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
'sup everyone.

I'm currently running a PIII at 550 mhz with a TNT2 Ultra card. I'm a fairly serious gamer, and my system is really starting to show it's age. I need to update the graphics board.

I just read that Hercules and ST are releasing the "Kryo II", which will retail for around $150.

I don't know anything about the Kryo series; only that they are going to push it as a low-budget competitor to the Geforce 3.

Of course, The Geforce 3 will be a far better card...but I simply cannot spend $500+ on a video card right now.

Anyone have any opinions?

G

Really only the video card is holding you back. I think the kyroII will be a pretty good card. $150 is for the 64meg, I think you can get the 32meg for $80. (and that's suggested so reality will likely be lower)

Updated part: I thought there was a 32meg version planned for the Kyro II, it appears that Hercules will soon produce a KyroI 32meg card (that's the 4000 for $80).<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Snrub on 03/13/01 02:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anandtech just <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1435" target="_new">reviewed the STMicroelectronics Kyro II 64MB</A>. It looks awesome.

G

I just read the same review. Pretty awesome, especially considering the price. The performance is a little uneven still, but I was amazed that the card could beat out the GeForce II Ultra more than once! If they can ever add a T&L engine, lookout Nvidia!!!

G

Yeah same here! I've been planning on buying a MX for a system I'm building but now after seeing the Kyro II kick the MX's behind I'm gonna certainly spend the extra $50 bucks for this card.

G

An OC isn't a bad idea at all, but the cpu is still suffiecient and in the majority of cases will not hold back the video so why bother. You're looking at ~$130 for a 700mhz PIII for little or no performance increase. (assuming you like to play games in >640x480...well actually 800x600 shows some cpu)

Anyway, the KyroII looks like one hell of a card! I thought it would be good but it surpassed my expectations. I'd still consider waiting for the 32meg version (4000?) sounds like it'll be GF2MX cheap.