KT7 raid and internet lockups

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi guys, I'm having a problem with lockups ONLY on the internet. I realize others do to as I've seen this post. I'm curious if anyone has a fix. I think it's because my modem and network card are sharing irqs, but geeesh, 6 pci ports, and they all share irqs, I've tried all the different configurations I can. I have a voodoo3 3000 agp card, sblive in pci slot 2, net card in pci slot 4, and modem in pci slot 6. Now I won't touch pci slot 5 as I have my hd plugged into ide3(hpt370 controller shares irq with slot 5) and the others have just shared with either the network card or the sblive card. Any suggestions?

-sinner.

roblap

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
Curious, do you have any USB devices? Is your USB enabled in BIOS?

I also have this board and I couldn't put a NIC in slot 6 with USB enabled or I would get reboots and crashes. I assumed the same would happen in slot 4 (they share an IRQ) so I was stuck using 2 for the NIC and 3 for the SBLive. Maybe disabling USB would help this problem, but I have a Joystick that is USB-only! I'm avoiding using slot 5 for the same reason you are.

Seems like you have to pick and choose what you want on the KT7-RAID. If you want USB, can't use 2 of the slots. If you use ATA100 or RAID, you lose another slot. If you have an AGP card, don't use slot 1. Slots 2 and 3 share an IRQ so they better play nice together, or you can only use one of them!

That's a bit (Abit?) extreme, but there's no way of knowing if your cards will behave properly and share an IRQ like they are supposed to until you try it out. You might find that your 1 AGP and 6 PCI slots becomes effectively 1 AGP and 1 PCI slot!

Sorry, just a little rant...
Rob

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lol, my thoughts exactly, defeats the purpose with 6 pci slots, that was one of the things that attracted me to this board(besides the raid). I am not using usb period, it is disabled, as are com ports 1 & 2 and the printer port is disabled too(use a printer over the network), so it appears I should have plenty of free irqs, however, windows still wants them all to share! at least windows isnt greedy, loves sharing eh! heh Sure would love to stop locking up, also, since the purchase of this board( I used this modem in my old houston tech board for over a year), after 3 or 4 reboots, the system mysteriously begins to load the wrong driver for my modem, one is already installed and has been working. What a headache, but am learning more i suppose, any more help would be appreciated!

-sinner.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What version of Internet Explorer (I assume) you use? I experienced freezing a lot with version 5.5 until I upgraded it to Service Pack 1 (Win ME).

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i did run ie 55, knew of this issue, with the service pack, downgraded back to 5.01 with service packs, same problem, i have a hunch its the irq being shared with the modem and network card

-sinner.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The fix that worked for me is turn off smooth scrolling in Internet explorer. Until I did this IE crashed everytime I used Microsoft's online Hotmail whenever I created new messages. Very annoying.

To turn off smooth scrolling

>Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > uncheck Use smooth scrolling.

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Im not a network expert by any stretch but it sounds as if you modem and network card may not work and play well together with others. I would try to pull the network card and see if it is better. The modem is obviously the easier protocol to deal with. Then reverse. If then the network is fine try a different modem. You can get a cheap [-peep-] modem from best buy for about $15. Or Possibly try to force a irq for the modem through the software. One other possbility is Iexplorer is messed up. Try microsoft support Q194177 for the fix and instructions

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, got it running smooth for now. I simply pulled the modem from pci slot 6, left the network card in 4, put the modem in slot 3, and it seems to be sharing irq3 with the sblive card, sharing in harmony for now. That is till I start getting the static through my speakers, but its ok now, no lockups either and the 800 tbird is happily sittin at 940mhz, 35C. One thing with this board I've found, you can't force irqs within windows, whether you set the bios to pnp, or windows. O well, things are runnin smoothly for now, till my modem wants to load that other driver in 6 or 7 more reboots, aaargh!

-sinner.

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, turned smooth scrolling off. Didn't know about that one. Am runnin ie 5.01 with its service pack loaded, no lockups nothin now, altho the modem is sharing irq 3 with my sblive. Maybe the modem and the dlink netcard jus didnt like each other, lol. prolly enemies , hah, so i distanced them, they each have their own corner now, lol

-sinner.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It sounded like a strange tip to me but whatever works.

Sorry, I am in a hurry so if someone already posted about this just ignore it.

One thing that really helps with resolving hardware issues, especially resource conflicts, if you should get them, is in the BIOS PnP Configuration section remember to enable "Reset Configuration Data" when you move I/O cards around. This lets Windows get in sync with the hardware.

Also, Paul's Unofficial KT7 FAQ is a great resource. The Instability section has a great step by step guide for fixing problems. (It should apply to all KT133 & KT133A motherboards not just the KT7).

Good Luck.

Update:

Sorry, I forgot the link.

http://www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/08/01 02:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

what happened when you tried to hardwire the irq's in the BIOS ?