Question Kubuntu freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2021
I have got Kubuntu an unexpected freezing. Mostly I'm using firefox and VirtualBox. During freezing an UI is not repond, but I can move mouse cursor. I can't switch to console mode.
During freezing CPU usage about 20-50%, RAM usage 1-14 Gb. Free space on the hard disk about 30-40%

My hardware: AMD Ryzen 3600, RAM 32 Gb, Samsung SSD 250, GeForce 9500 GT.
I'm using Kubuntu 21.10 now. Before I have used Kubuntu 20.04 and had got freezing also.
I had tested hard disks via SMART, but had not found any errors.

dmesg show error after restart:

Code:
 1.259061] RAS: Correctable Errors collector initialized.
[    1.656036] nouveau 0000:08:00.0: DRM: failed to create encoder 0/1/0: -19
[    4.214994] EXT4-fs (sda4): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro. Quota mode: none.
[   12.281179] vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

Just a couple of things:

1. Are you installing the guest additions? If not then do so.
  2. The nouveau driver may be a problem. If you're passing through the NVidia card then install the proprietary NVidia drivers. The other errors shown are of no importance and are informational only. Ignore them.
  3. That 9500GT is an OLD card and could also be the problem.

Nov 15, 2021
Just a couple of things:

1. Are you installing the guest additions? If not then do so.
  2. The nouveau driver may be a problem. If you're passing through the NVidia card then install the proprietary NVidia drivers. The other errors shown are of no importance and are informational only. Ignore them.
  3. That 9500GT is an OLD card and could also be the problem.
Many thanks.
  1. Installed
  2. I have tried install driver 470, 450,380 versions from repository. But it doesn't work. Kubuntu had freezed on the boot logo splash, but console was working. I had downloaded 340 version driver from nvidia site, but it was not installing due to build errors.
  3. How I can check it? I dont use 3d graphics, just desktop applications. I think, usage of GPU is low.

First, NEVER install anything from outside the repository, ever. Doing this is a guarantee that there will be problems, if not immediately then soon after.

Secondly, what specifically do you mean by "doesn't work". We out here cannot see your machine so you must be very specific when referring to errors and such.

Nov 15, 2021
First, NEVER install anything from outside the repository, ever. Doing this is a guarantee that there will be problems, if not immediately then soon after.

Secondly, what specifically do you mean by "doesn't work". We out here cannot see your machine so you must be very specific when referring to errors and such.
I had using drivers from nvidia site before 20.x versions of Kubuntu succesfully.
After installing drivers from a repository Kubuntu shows boot logo endlessly. I can switch to console, but cannot use UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.