Question KVM for Gaming Keyboard

New User 337

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
I am replacing my old, broken keyboard with a gaming version. I purchased a Cosair K70 because I really like the better quality, key action and lighting.. I want the keyboard to be shared between two computers and a monitor. I have a KVM that worked perfectly with the old KB but the K70 will not. My setup is two Win 10 computers a mouse, HDMI monitor. I think the setup is very generic except for the new gaming KB. I do not care if the special configs, keys etc work between the systems as I will only be using it as a standard KB. Is there a KVM that will work with a gaming KB even if it filters out all but standard KB functions? Thanks

New User 337

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
Thanks Newtonius. I saw this article before I asked on the forum. I did not include in my OP that I had tried a Gaming KB several years ago and ran into a brick wall. I saw no mention of the KB issue when I read the reviews so maybe this is a problem solved long ago. I'll look for the best fit and email the mfg. to see what they say. Thanks again.

New User 337

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
So as a followup I bought a "gaming" KVM. Out of the box it did not work. So I decided to call the manufacturer, IO Gear. Their support was terrific. I told the tech my problem and that neither my old KVM or the new one would work. He said they would, and walked me through the very simple configuration process (below). The short, spoiler answer is I had to turn off mouse emulation. This worked great. There is an occasional lag for the new (switched to) computer to recognize the KB and mouse sometimes, but for my use case it is a small inconvenience.

How to turn off mouse emulation for IO Gear
  1. Connect a STANDARD KB to the KVM.
  2. Press scroll lock twice
  3. The scroll lock LED on the KB should begin to blink
  4. Press the letter "M" on the keyboard then release.
You have just disabled mouse emulation

5. Now connect a USB hub to the KB port of the KVM
I think any hub will do. I just used an old cheap one that I had in a bin. It doesn't need to be powered unless you have accessories that will need to be recharged.
6. Connect your mouse, gaming keyboard, and any other input peripheral you want to switch between computers to the USB hub.

Test your devices. You are good to go.

Other KVMs may have a similar capability. I used IO Gear because its is what I have and has been reliable for many years.