[SOLVED] KVM or alternatives?

BazmanFoo

Commendable
Oct 22, 2019
Hi Guys

For my setup at home, I have 2 laptops - 1 personal & 1 work. Both are Lenovo and I have docking stations for each (the 2 models can't use the same dock). I have 1 external monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse.

I switch between both devices regularly depending on what I'm doing (Adobe CC/some gaming on personal, email and internal systems on work) and it's quite cumbersome currently, involving removing the K&M dongle from one dock and inserting in the other, then toggling the monitor source manually.

I was looking at KVM switches online but I am wary of their potential limitations around picture quality, FPS etc and wondered if I'm missing any modern solutions to this problem? I was looking at some of the Logitech multi device Bluetooth peripherals but unsure if my work laptop would allow me the admin rights necessary to install this software etc.

Any recommendations of KVM alternatives? And if not, any recommended KVM switches?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
You could do separate KM and V switches, so one for keyboard and mouse, and one for monitor, I'm getting 1440p@120hz out of a separate DP switch, but getting that built into a KVM is rare/expensive.