kyro 3 will have pixel shaders and vertex shaders

G

I saw this on aceshardware:
<i><font color=red>
David Harold, PR-manager of Imagination Technologies, told the german game magazine PC Action that the kyro3 GPU besides a T&L-Pipeline and 4 rendering pipelines will also have support for programmable directx8 pixel- und vertex-shader.

support for DDR-RAM was also confirmed. the magazine also writes that the official announcement of the kyro3 will not be before november.

the game mags homepage: <A HREF="http://www.pcaction.de/" target="_new">http://www.pcaction.de/</A>, the info is in its july-issue.

information is from: <A HREF="http://www.3dconcept.ch/cgi-bin/show.cgi?show=2468" target="_new">http://www.3dconcept.ch/cgi-bin/show.cgi?show=2468</A> where you will also find a chart with (now official) kyro family specs.

with the targeted core clock of 250mhz(<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,2299,s=201&a=2529,00.asp" target="_new">http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,2299,s=201&a=2529,00.asp</A>) and 4 pipes the kyro will have 20% more real fillrate (1gigapixel) than the geforce 3, with no overdraw included in the calculation..

it sounds too good to be true, lets hope that imgtec will deliver this year.
</i></font color=red>

;)

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
q4 2k1? I don't think it will even make it to the oem samples stage by then. i seriuosly think its gonna be q2 2k2 before the kyro 3 sees light of day.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

How would you know what stage of its development it will be in at any particular time?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Regardless this is very good news. What do you know about this project? Also do you know if Beyond3d is going to come back on line?

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Its difficult and you cannot be certain. unless ofcourse you work in the development of the card. Managers know less truth than the developers and marketing know crap all.

You'de have to look at their previous records, which isn't remarkable. Besides they've planned an in between card. you don't do that unless you're expecting delays.

If they're going for a november announcment, this means they plan to finalise the chip around that time. Then they gotta make refernece cards and send sample chips to oems. Then they'll make their final decisions on exact clock speeds and stuff then finally release the card.

I might have missed a few stage here but thats pretty much how it usually goes.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

I know some stuff, but I can't say anything about it here...sorry.

As we all know it'll have more raw fillrate and memory bandwidth then a Geforce 3 and as always it won't draw unseen pixels (blindingly obvious but I thought I'd still mention it), to give you an idea of its performance against the Geforce 3, the Kyro II has around the same raw single texturing fillrate and memory bandwidth as the Geforce MX and look at how much faster the Kyro II is then the MX especially at high res and with FSAA, the Kyro III should be similarly faster then the Geforce 3 but it'll also have HW T&L which was one of Kyro II's major disadvantages against the MX.

Anyway having HW T&L obviously means Kyro III must solve the problem of poly storage that allot of people complain about TBR's having because if it didn't then the HW T&L unit would be rendered useless, I'm not saying how it might fix that problem though.

G

"I know some stuff, but I can't say anything about it here...sorry."
awww, come on teasy!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Thanks for the info. When ever you fill like confessing more info we will be happy to give our full attention.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

G

Nope your wrong there, the reason its around November is because thats when 0.13um processes will be available to them and thats the process being used for Kyro III so they can't announce anything until the process is ready. Nvidia are also waiting for this process from the same place to be used with there next card.

Also what record are you talking about?, because many people make the mistake of linking the record of IMGTEC/NEC with IMGTEC/STM when they shouldn't. IMGTEC/NEC made PCX1/PCX2/Neon250/PowerVRDC and didn't have a good record in the PC market. IMGTEC changed to STM for Kyro 1 and II and III, STM haven't got a bad record with IMGTEC and they also had a good record with Nvidia too if you remember.

They don't have a fill in card, the 200mhz Kyro II (if its ever even released which where not sure of yet) isn't a fill in card from what I've heard, there's two possible reasons for this cards release. 1: ths 200mhz Kyro II will replace the current Kyro II just because STM have found a way of easily refining the process and why not sell a faster card for the same price?. 2: There building a product line, look at the products and you see a patern, Kyro 1 = MX, Kyro II = GTS, Kyro II 200mhz = GTS Pro/Ultra, Kyro III = Geforce 3/Pro/Ultra, they want a product line that will challenge every Nvidia card.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well after a period of time that wooping starts feeling good. OOPS I said to much :smile: .

G

I forgot to answer your Beyond3d question. Yes it will be back, I was talking to Dave Baumann the other day and he tells me that they have a new server arranged but unfortunately they can't get any old data off the last server so the threads we were discussing just before B3D went down won't be back:(, but I'm sure we can get some new interesting threads going quite quickly.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well that is good news, there was some very interesting threads and good discussions going on there.

TRENDING THREADS