Kyro II vs MX-400

DeathwasH

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
hi,
i'm a 3D modeller/animator and i came to the point where my GeForce 256 couldnt handle the pressure anymore, since i'm on a tight budget (pro cards like wildcat are way out of my league) i decided to give the kyro II for hercules a run for its money... How disappointed i turned out to be... The TBR system doesnt seem to work with 3D Studio Max at all, i had a framerate of ~0.1 fps when i was editing a low poly model, whereas my geforce did well over 50 fps when i was below 5000 poly's...

I've asked the dealer if i could turn my card back in and get another one, luckily he was understanding and i'm turning it back tomorrow... i was thinking of buying a geforce 2 mx-400 and i was hoping to see some comment from non-gamers about the card :)

(btw in games the kyro didnt impress me either, with a framerate only equal to my geforce)

Tnx alot, DeathwasH out

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well look at the MX 400 , Radeon SDR, New Trident card, G450.

Now under ATi undership it seems to have some more muscle. Maybe the FireGL series could have the Workstation Radeon in the future.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I am not a 3d modeler, but from what I've read and seen is that the GeForce Line of cards are the exact same as the Quadro line of cards with some functionality removed. I dont recommend this but some websights show how to enable these functions if your a bit handy with a soldering iron. Since you wont be using your 256 anymore why not give it a go.

Since I'm more of a gamer I'm not going to tell you which card you to buy. But I think in this case you would be better off with a GeForce than a Radeon.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Do yourself a big favor and read over this article on all the available commercial graphics cards tested in 3dsMax. I think you will find your answer there, excellent in debth review.

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/3dmax/" target="_new">Contemporary Graphics Accelerators Tested in 3D MAX</A>

Also you might want to check out there other review on 3dsMax and different plateforms.

DeathwasH

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Tnx, i looked on the page for max but Kyro II wasnt included...
i also took a look at some more comparative benchmarks between different chipset in games and i came to the conclusion that kyro II really is a great card, but my cpu is just a little too slow to manage its potential...

therefore i have decided to keep my card, run max in softwaremode untill better drivers come out for my card...
and i suppose i'll have to get rid of that good old PIII/500