Kyro2 vs GF2 vs Voodoo5 vs Radeon

G

help me to choose which i should buy of these.
some comments are appreciated. my computer is 533celeron with 425 100mhz sdram win98. and i play games.

-Hercules 3d Prophet 4500 Kyro II 64Mb
-Asus V7700Pro/T GeForce2 GTS TVR 64MB
-Elsa Gladiac 511 MX400 TV-Out AGP 64Mb
-Ati Radeon 64MB DDR AGP
-3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

cool, thank you for your answer already.
love you guys. i really do. i mean it.

thankya all<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nybe32 on 07/05/01 06:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

If you are ONLY playing games then the GeForce2 will give you the best performance with a brute force approach. Using a bit of finesee the Radeon comes a close second and generally looks much better in 3D and 2D. The Kryo II comes in third but can out perform the others in certain games. i.e. Serious Sam

The MX400 is cheap but it's performance is restricted. The Voodoo is a nice card, but is not future proof, no DirectX 8 support, in fact not much support at all ;).

G

I don't agree with kyro getting third place...
from the reviews that I saw...

kyro is better than geforce 2 GTS (in most games) at decent resolutions 1024x768x32...and up ..
not forgeting FSAA..

if you want to play only in 16 bit then geforce 2 GTS is faster but not with 32 bit and higher resolutions...

what do you prefer 16 bit or 32 bit ??
;)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by powervr2 on 07/05/01 08:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Jespark

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
Well, from the reviews that I saw...
GeForce GTS was much more powerfull, even in 1024*768*32.

But the Kyro II is a very good card too. I can't say right now if my second one would be Kyro or Radeon... Probably Kyro.

[SOA]Jespark<b>-CWB</b>
ME AMARRO EM UT MAS MINHA LINHA É UMA DROGA

G

I would get the Radeon first-then the GTS-then the Kyro.
The radeon is the best looking card as far as rendering goes, packs alot of DX8 features, and has alot besides just gaming. It has awesome DVD and TV out features. It will give you the best looking image of the bunch, and if it is a few FPS slower than the GF2 you wont notice. This card is looking ahead while the GF2 is kind of hanging on and looking over its shoulder.
The Kyro is a nice card..but it is the most CPu dependant due to the lack of any T&L.
ATI Radeon 64MB DDR for 200 dollars or less would be my vote.

Grimjack01

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
Hi all,
As far as cards go the G-force is best all around due to brute force aproach, That said it also is amoung the most expensive. I view Video cards as a discardable/disposable piece of the computer, next week something is always better especially in video cards. Looking at your system with a celeron at that speed restricts you away from kryo cards as they really require 1 gig or better due to lack of T&L onboard. I just built a new system and for $150 +25 US or so you can get the radion ViVo 64 DDR card. This seems to be the best cost/performance ratio you can put in YOUR system at this time. The colours and performance you can expect will be very nice in that system. your will be bottlenecked at the CPU so remember that.

Grimjack

"Kiss" it is a way of life not an expletive

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I suggest the Radeon LE. Anything more would be a waste on that CPU. It scores almost as high in 32-bit color 3d gaming as the Geforce 2 GTS. The Radeon LE TVO (TV-Out, both composite and S-Video) goes for just under $100.
Oh, and the Radeon seems to be a little less processor dependant than the others. It definately outperforms the MX400. BTW, the LE is DDR, and has all the features of the 32MB DDR retail card (plus TVO if you order it that way). Radeons also support more features than the other cards, like Environmental Bump Mapping.

Next up would be the Radeon 64MB. Although I like the GTS, the Radeon 64MB is a great card, available with VIVO (Video in, Video out) for the same price as the GeForce2 GTS.

BTW, I can give you a highley qualified opinion on this. I own a GTS, MX, and Radeon LE. The LE is good. The GTS is a little faster. Knowing the Radeon 64MB DDR card is even better than the already impresive LE puts it a little ahead of the GTS. The MX is collecting dust!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

no way, can you say VIVO? That alone gives the Radeon a huge edge ;-)

G

The Kyro II is the best one if you want a good price/performance ratio.

It NEARLY ALWAYS outperforms the GTS and the Radeon (and the MX400, of course) in resolutions of 1280*1024 and higher (and sometimes even in 1024*768), so if you have a monitor allowing you to display high resolutions...

If you play in lower resolutions you will find no visual difference among the cards, so GO FOR THE DAMN KYRO II NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Voodoo 5 is not worth buying, maybe you can find it for a very low price, but as 3dfx closed,there is no support at all... and if you have any problem with the card, say farewell to it...

NOTE: the Kyro II 2D look is supposed to be very good (better than ATI's maybe...)

DAD, MUM, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH (...AND MY COMPUTER IS GETTING RATHER OLD)