KyroII performance?

G

I've seen the beta boards seen here...
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1435
Scores are very good for $150. Beats the Geforce 2 MX and gives the Geforce 2 GTS a run for it's money. Even beat the ultra in some cases. Anyone have it? Doubt it but I was hoping someone did. I'm interusted in knowing how the drivers are in win2k and how the card scores in 3dmark2k1 (as of right now the kyroII isn't listed at madonion).

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Sharky did a review also and he has a 3dMark2001 results included in his many tests.
<A HREF="http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/previews/hercules_3dprophet_4500_kyro2/" target="_new">http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/previews/hercules_3dprophet_4500_kyro2/</A>
Good read, look at the 3d winbench scores also.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The more I read about this board the more I want one. The suggested retail price is $149 so the net price will be much less than that. Looks like it scores well in W2k in 3d Winbench vice the poor showing of the radeon, ARGGGGH. Looking at Sharkey's Radean results I conclude the Radeon wasn't set up right. My QuakeIII scores are usually better in W2K then Win9x. What is funny is that the 3d Prophet 4500 is having a hard time with Intel systems, vice AMD systems, lol. Looks like manufacturers are designing around AMD systems vice Intels. Intel better get use to it.

G

Who says intel doesn't have imcompatiblities? no,no. I won't start that in this thread.

Looking through that review I was indeed looking to see how the drivers were in win2k. To my delight I saw what I wanted from nvidia and Ati, nearly 0%-2$ hit. That is a huge plus in my eyes.

The very bad thing about the kyroII is no dx8 and T&L. Sharky says that STMicroelectronics claims that T&L is ready to be implemented but we will see. I am really begining to see how flawed 3dmark can be. I guess with 3dmark2k1 we can't judge it today. It is out now pretty much to just laugh at any card you throw at it. I'd really like to see the detailed report of 3dmark2k1 on the kyroII to see where it faults in that benchmarker.

STMicroelectronics should have T&L now if they can. If it is going to be lasting as long as radeon and geforce2's it will need it soon for sure.

G

WTF YOU DUMB BASTARD INTEL DOES NOT HAVE INCOMPAT...

nah, just kidding...really :)...sorry, i just couldnt resist :D

anyway...i have MOST impressed with the KyroII benchmarks, and i think it couldnt have come at a better time. in terms of FPS the kyroII can usually hold its own with the geforce 2...and all the new flashy stuff that makes the geforce 3 what it is, hasnt been implemented in games yet. sooooo, i think the kyroII would be a viable choice right now, but i dont see it being very useful in a couple of years

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.

G

I really think the lack of DX8 features is a non-issue. Games are still being made to run on the original PIIs with a voodoo2/TNT. DX8 features will not be needed for some time. If you're likely to buy a new board within a year and a half no problem. As for the T&L, I don't think it's going to be a big issue either. First, in a lot of circumstances where you'd think T&L would be usefull, the T&L isn't helping the performance. 2nd same as the DX8 stuff, T&L won't be a requirement because most people don't have a bleading edge graphics card. Games aren't going to be made that require it, if 90% of potential buyers can't play it. I can see a game supporting T&L where it improves a game to a certain extent. Makers of games are reluctant to make huge differences or else people complain the systemp requirements are too high, even if with the fancy features turned down it still looks better than other games.

G

Actually, right now is the point where you will need no less than a geforce 256. The kyroII is being released at the point where things that where released last year are becoming a necessity like T&L. Games always use the newest dx code to some degree; with the recent additions with dx8 you will see more developers use it. If you followed the development of dx over the years Microsoft could have called dx8 dx10 because it adds that much more. Cards perform great for a year, after that it gets a little slow and you miss out on the advancements even if the speed difference is still ok. The kyroII mid range card being released now, it should be a card that is up to speed with at least a vid card from 6 months ago (which it pretty much is). It should also be up to date with technology at the point of it's release.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
T&L started making a debut on a large scale, from about a year ago. Any game released from now on is almost garaunteed to have T&L. Within six months or so, they are gonna include a lot more DX8 features.

Loads of the companies that are set to make games for the XBOX will also make the same games for the PC. Do you really think they will hold back because some people dont have the hardware. It never stopped them before.

In the past couple of years CPU speeds have sored, but why have games developers not used the extra speed? because they are starting to use features like T&L. Also, over the next year or so expect games to have a huge increase in polygon count + texture size and other special effects such as lighting, soft shadows and particles etc. And like I said before, this is where the Kyro will start to show its weaknesses, even if you have the latest in the line of CPU's.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

totally agree. I am looking to get a new card like now and seriously looking at the kyroII. Since they say it is ready for T&L we'll see.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with everything that you have said but as a budget minded video card the Kyro II has a lot to offer.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1435" target="_new">AnandTech's review</A> convinced me. FSAA with no (zero) performance penalty brings a lot to the table.

Dravic

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
not to mention it just hit pricewatch yesterday at $89..

wowzers!!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1045" target="_new">My Gaming Rigs</A>

G

Is Toms Hardware going to be running a review on this card?
It certainly looks to be one of the more interesting cards I've seen in a while, I seem to remember way back nvidia bringing out cards suddenly that had this kind of impact are we going to see then next 3dfx/nvidia scenario?

G

too early to tell, and yes those prices where for the original kyro. The kyro II has yet to make a scene. There is some rustle (mostly by me :) about it not having T&L and that it can have it easy. I'm sure tom will be able to find everything about this when he does his review, probably in the next week or so.

Makaveli

Splendid
I saw the kyro II benchmarks and was impressed. But would I buy one NO. Why Lack of TL and upcoming Direct X features will not give this card any kinda of staying power withing the next 12-18 months. Though I did hear they will be makin one with a TL so that will be something worth a look. Anywaz for 2days crop of games I think it is a more than worthy purchase with excellent results. I personally am waiting for the Radeon 2 as my next video card purchase. But that will be some time from now I presume. Competition in the video card market is good it will do the same thing that AMD and intel is doing for the CPU market! Nvidia is still #1 performance wise but alittle competition never hurt.
AnyWaz is there really a difference from playing Quake 3 @ 60fps to 100+!

G

"AnyWaz is there really a difference from playing Quake 3 @ 60fps to 100+!" not at all. But look at the higher res fps.