L.A. Outfitting 7,000 Officers With On-Body Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
So basically the officer will be able to turn it on when it will help him and turn it off when it doesn't. There needs to be a better system that does not give the decision to record to the officer wearing the camera.

Lamontiego

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
So, somewhere in between 2100-2200 per camera!?! Anyone else think that is way to high of a price? 1600000/750=2133.00 dollars per camera. SMH

Probably pennies compared to some department's settlement checks. Then factor in the cost to Public Relations & HR's cost for paid leave and that camera looks like a cheap deterrent for bad behavior, cops and public alike.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
"So basically the officer will be able to turn it on when it will help him and turn it off when it doesn't. There needs to be a better system that does not give the decision to record to the officer wearing the camera."

Look, I see where you're coming from but this is a lot more deep than people think. Think about all of those kids/women who are being abused, mutilated, people murdered, raped... with these things being recorded, it leave the door open for files to be leaked, including videos of the above. That means they're also in a position where everything is visible, including your personal information/interaction with the police. Your DL, license plate, car, house, address, anything put in front of the camera is open for hacking and released to the world. There must be a lot of security, policy, etc to go behind all of this. Even then, as we can see these days, things get hacked and leaked.

While this may help a few situations, it may also cause a storm of others.

I think they should pilot this for a while in a few cities and first check for its vulnerabilities and effectiveness before making it mainstream.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
2133 per camera for 750 cameras. Thats utter robbery. $200 woudl be too much for these, considering you can buy little r/c cameras for about $40.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
The camera's should be streaming continuously say in 720p. When the record button is hit they should be streaming at 1440p and this should blink at that rate.

no1enter

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
They could use GoPro instead. It would cost $150-$450 per camera with mount, depending on which camera/mount. that would mean about 10,666-3,555 cameras. Of course they would need a NAS to hold all that video for evedence, lets say $15k for 100TB NAS. That would then be 10,566-3,522 cameras, with mounts, and a NAS to store said video. Seems like a good option, and so what if it is a tiny bit more bulky, or doesnt have collar mounts that Axon Flex has, they are charging WAY TOO MUCH for cameras.

G

Why wouldn't they be on all the time? It can be saved encrypted, and then when required as evidence, the portions needed are decrypted. It just seems worthless if the officer can choose when to turn it on or off. I somehow doubt when action is going on the officer will remember to turn on his camera.

And the price seems ridiculous, but it's probably the whole system. We would need to know what is provided for that.

All in all, it's about time!

no1enter

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
They could use GoPro instead. It would cost $150-$450 per camera with mount, depending on which camera/mount. that would mean about 10,666-3,555 cameras. Of course they would need a NAS to hold all that video for evedence, lets say $15k for 100TB NAS. That would then be 10,566-3,522 cameras, with mounts, and a NAS to store said video. Seems like a good option, and so what if it is a tiny bit more bulky, or doesnt have collar mounts that Axon Flex has, they are charging WAY TOO MUCH for cameras.

no1enter

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
So I'm riding in my car, I tell some kid to get out of the street, a fight ensues and my handgun goes off twice during the struggle. The kid walks off and I jump out to pursue them.

At that point, I quickly turn my camera on and continue the pursuit.

Is that what is going to happen here?

USAFRet

Titan
Other issues:
Recording all the time
Video is 'public record'
Citizen requests ALL the camera footage from the last two weeks
Citizen then puts it on youtube, just because

No problem you say?

Consider this:
You have a break in at your house
Cop shows up to investigate, with body cam running
Front door of your house, then all over the inside, captured on camera
Poof...the inside of your house now on youtube. Just because
You did nothing wrong, cop did nothing wrong...but there it is

This is already happening
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-11-26/cop-cams-face-threat-from-transparency-law-in-washington-state

[quote = Andy Chow]Why wouldn't they be on all the time? It can be saved encrypted, and then when required as evidence, the portions needed are decrypted. It just seems worthless if the officer can choose when to turn it on or off. I somehow doubt when action is going on the officer will remember to turn on his camera.

And the price seems ridiculous, but it's probably the whole system. We would need to know what is provided for that.

All in all, it's about time! [/quote]

You know nothing about technology, what video camera out there can last a full 8-12 hour shift???? The camera needs to record each incident, then be placed on standby between incidents. If you want one which lasts a full 8-12 hours of recording, the battery would be massive and not practical to carry along with all the other gear officers have to lug around.

Status
Not open for further replies.