[SOLVED] L and R audio channels reverse randomly and frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
This started in the last week or two. I'll be playing a game and notice the sound doesn't quite match the environment. I'll close the game and go into audio settings to test the channels and sure enough, the channels are reversed. Windows 10 doesn't seem to have an option to reverse channels so I can't just click a button to put it back.

So far I've found that restarting the computer or going into Creative audio control panel and switching the sound from "speakers" to "headphones" and back, will correct the reversed channels.

I'm running a Sound Blaster Z with Creative's drivers.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried reinstalling creative drivers?

Not sure if DDU can be used to wipe creative drivers, i know it does for Realtek.

Before installing drivers again, if you haven't disabled automatic device software updates, do this first.

Control panel > system & security > system > advanced system settings > hardware tab > device installation settings.

Automatic updates could be mucking up your audio software.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you uninstall drivers + Creative software, does Windows 10 install it's own generic driver for it? Im wondering, to compare if audio card works, test speakers before installing driver from Creative and before any additional software.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Lol 😊

Have you tried giving a go at contacting Creative?

I've contacted them before concerning a different issue with another sound card and they were not helpful at all. Haven't contacted them since.

If you uninstall drivers + Creative software, does Windows 10 install it's own generic driver for it? Im wondering, to compare if audio card works, test speakers before installing driver from Creative and before any additional software.

Haven't done that, might be worth a try...

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Well just fired up the computer today and there's no sound at all. Nothing's changed in device manager... I had to restart the computer and it's working again. Wonder if the sound card is circling the drain.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
I haven't noticed the channels getting reversed for a while. To be fair I've only been playing Two Point Hospital lately. Yesterday though it happened during a session of R6 Siege and that was the last straw. I have removed the Sound Blaster Z and am now running off the motherboard using MSI's drivers. If it happens again I'll know it wasn't the sound card's fault. If a week or two goes by and the channels don't flip, I'll start looking at new sound cards.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
well it's been 9 days and the channels haven't reversed. I think it's safe to say the Sound Blaster Z was faulty.

I really want to support Creative because I've been using their cards since the 90's but I think it's time to find a new manufacturer. I'll check out that Xonar D2X thanks for the recommendation.

Jan 24, 2021
Hi, I recently meet the same problem as you. When gaming my L and R channel was reversed which annoying me so much. After switching to "speakers" and back to "headphones" fixed it. Turn off "direct mod" and turn back on “direct mod” also fix it to. Sometimes the driver “Sound Blaster Command” application not responding and I can't force close it cuz I can't find if in task manager to restart it. Using AE-5 now, I also tried reinstall the driver, didn't fix this issue. I don't know if it's my sound card issue or the driver's fault

Status
Not open for further replies.