L-Shaped Plastic Bit Broke Off Power Port (Pins are OK)\Fixable?

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hey everybody. I accidentally broke off the L-Shaped plastic bit that covers the power connector on my 3TB HDD. Can it be fixed? Pictures will be provided below. The drive is new, but out of warranty and, fortunately for me, there is no data currently saved on it. Any help at all one way or the other would be much appreciated.

Pics (Sorry for the ridiculously bad quality, it's all I had on hand): HDD Pics

Could this fix it?: SATA Power Cord

Solution
It is entirely possible that it will still function.
Totally possible that it won't.

I guess i'd probably try and use it in a dock or external tray, something that would be rigid and move with the drive. If it worked there i might be comfortable enough to move it to a drive tray with a back plane.

I don't think i'd ever use it in an array, as a system drive, or anything sensitive.

I don't believe it would be worth it to look into fixing it.
It is entirely possible that it will still function.
Totally possible that it won't.

I guess i'd probably try and use it in a dock or external tray, something that would be rigid and move with the drive. If it worked there i might be comfortable enough to move it to a drive tray with a back plane.

I don't think i'd ever use it in an array, as a system drive, or anything sensitive.

I don't believe it would be worth it to look into fixing it.

Solution

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

There's nothing wrong with the power supply (or it's cables), the problem I have at the moment lies solely with the HDD. Is there any way for me to power it up without the L-Shaped housing on the HDD? Like I said before, the pins are completely fine, near as I can tell, and the SATA port is untouched.

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

Damn. Is there seriously no way to confidently power it up without the L-Shaped housing inside my case? I was going to run this drive in RAID with my 2TB drive, so I'd prefer to get it fixed if possible. Having to toss it out over one little mistake and buy another one would really suck.

Here's my case, by the way: Case

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Would it be worth it to see if I could take the drive into a shop, like Canada Computers for instance, and have them solder on a new L-Shaped housing, or would that be a waste of time?

If so, is the general consensus instead that I should just bite the bullet and get a new one?

EDIT: Thanks for the input guys. I've decided I'll just replace it. Sucks, but there's just too much risk otherwise.