L2 cache 256kB can only support 32MB???

G

Back in the socket-7 days 256kB can only cache 32MB and 512kB can only cache 64MB

This information is obtained from Asus website regarding old mobo spec etc.

so our new P2, P3, K7 does not use on-board L2 anymore, what happens to the cachable thingy?

Is it simply controlled by the BIOS and does not consider the CPU L2 anymore?

Best regards
cx5<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fcchin on 03/12/01 08:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I am not sure what you are thinking but here is attempt to try to set you on the right track. First L2 cache is now on die or on the cpu it self this allows it to operate at the same speed as the cpu instead of on the MB only working at the bus speed. (ya I know it was different for the slot cpu’s but we will skip that for now).
Second the amount of L2 cache you have has no effect on the amount of ram you can access. In the dawn of the computer age the amount of ram you could use was limited by your cpu’s address bus. The 8088 cpu only had 20 address lines and thus could only access 1 meg of ram later 386dx-468-pents could theoretically access 4gig and pent2 &3 could access 64gigs or ram. Now the limiting factor on how much ram you can have is your MB. When you look at MB’s they say max ram amount 1060megs or something.
But if you using win 98/me windows only recognizes 512 megs of ram.
I hope that helps.
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

G

The L2 cache cannot be modified as added with the stick card at the moment because they are controlled or addressed by a WINBOND chip where 8k or 16k TAG RAM can address 256k or 512k respectively.

Only mobo with a 32k TAG RAM can add another 512k cache.

For me I was thinking of solder 8MB for fun, so I will give up for me. I'll need to get a WINBOND that have 16 times more TAG RAM that what my 512k is.

The information was obtained from asus website.

Best regards
cx5