Lab Domain Layout - SOS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi,

I'm trying to sort out my domain structure before deployment, but I'm
hitting some snags. Main problem is in sorting out where in the
structure User accounts should exist, and what groups they should be a
member of, and how that affects the logon scripts.

Heres the current Layout:
---------------------------------
uk-lab
Builtin
Computers
Domain Controllers (OU)
ForeignSecurityPrincipals
Servers (OU) (Server Admins)
Users (labadmin)
Workstations (OU) (labuser, labusergroup)
Desktops A (OU)
Desktops B (OU)
Desktops C (OU)
laptops (OU)
test machines (OU)

here are the users:
labuser - part of the Workstations OU. member of the "labusergroup".
Also a member of Domain User.
labadmin - part of the Users container. member of "server admins
group". Also a member of Domain Admin.

here are the groups:
labusergroup - Part of the workstations OU
Server admins - Part of the Servers OU

I have 5 GPO policies:

uk-lab domain policy (top level)
DC policies
Servers Policy
Workstations Policy
test machines policy

(Workstation policy will be inherited into child-OUs : laptops, etc.
Intended to be able to setup different Automatic Update schedules, and
test different settings on test machines).

Seperate logon scripts are defined for both the Server OU, and
Workstation OU.

labuser is a member of Restricted Group (Administrator) under the
Workstation OU.

labadmin is a memeber of the Domain Admins.
-----------------------------------
Heres my issue:

I want labadmin to be able to logon anywhere (which is why I left it in
the default users container). i only want labuser to be able to logon
to computers held in the Workstations OU and below.

At the moment, when labuser logs into Workstation PCs, all works well.

But if labadmin logs into a machine on the Server OU, then none of the
server logon scripts run. If i move the lab admin account into the
Servers account, then will that account be able to log into the
Workstation PCs??? Will the logon scripts for labadmin work?

I want labadmin to be able to logon anywhere, but have the logon scripts
run in reflection of the OU policy (i.e. Servers run "server" type
scripts, Workstations run different sets).

What am I missing about the setup of labadmin to be able to have it
logon everywhere, and have appropriate scripts run?

I've tried:

- Moving the logon scripts for sever into the top-level OU (uk-lab), but
then those scripts also run on any Computers in Workstation and below.
- Moving the labadmin account into Servers. But then I'm unsure if
labadmin is still able to logon to Workstation accounts. And how would
logon scripts run?

I just can't work out which OU to put labadmin in. Whichever OU I move
him too i think he'll not be able to log into the other. obviously I've
missed something simple ??

Adrian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hard to follow exactly, but in your situation there are no login scripts
assigned for the labadmin user, correct?

I can't think why you'd want to put the labadmin account in the workstations
OU. That doesn't make any sense at all (to me anyway).

I would think you might want to do something similar to the follow for OU
layout

domain context
|_Admins
|_Corp
|_Servers
|_Workstations
|_Users
|_Groups
|_Builtin
|_computers
|_Users

Etc...

That way you can attach user-specific and machine-specific GPOs to the
users. Your labadmin would reside in the corp/admins OU, while labuser
would be in corp/users OU. Assign the scripts appropriately remembering
that some settings are user-specific and some are worksation specific
meaning you may need a master script that checks which OU a user is in or
what groups etc and then making a decision as to which sub-functions to run
based on that information. Depends on what the scripts do.

"Adrian Marsh (NNTP)" <marsh_removeme_@lucent.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> scripts, Workstations run different sets).
>
> What am I missing about the setup of labadmin to be able to have it logon
> everywhere, and have appropriate scripts run?
>
> I've tried:
>
> - Moving the logon scripts for sever into the top-level OU (uk-lab), but
> then those scripts also run on any Computers in Workstation and below.
> - Moving the labadmin account into Servers. But then I'm unsure if
> labadmin is still able to logon to Workstation accounts. And how would
> logon scripts run?
>
> I just can't work out which OU to put labadmin in. Whichever OU I move him
> too i think he'll not be able to log into the other. obviously I've missed
> something simple ??
>
> Adrian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi Al,

login scripts are assigned to the GPO only, not NT4-style to the
individual users (I've no NT boxes, so I'm trying to adopt the 2000
methods).

So the Servers and Workstation GPOs DO have logon scripts assigned at
the User Configuration level. But because the labadmin user is assigned
to the uk-lab\users container, it doesn't run any of the logon scripts
when logging into a Servers PC (I'm guessing because the user is defined
in a higher-level OU than Servers). Heres the problem. if I move the
labadmin user -say- to the Servers GPO, then it'll run the scripts under
Servers, but I don't think it'll be able to login to the Workstations.

I thought about a similiar layout as below:

domain
|_Lab
|_Servers
|_Workstations

....putting the labadmin user into the _Lab OU/container and defining
logon scripts at the _Lab level, but then those scripts would run on
both the _Servers and _Workstations - whereas I'd want it to run
different scripts.

If I try to detect the OU within the logon script, then that beats the
point of defining the scripts per GPO, and I may as well go back to
having a logon script per user (NT style).

Reason for wanting the labadmin to be able to login to the Workstations
as well is for backup.

I suspect theres another way of doing all this, using Group assignments,
but can't see how.

Adrian

Al Mulnick wrote:
> [...]
>>scripts, Workstations run different sets).
>>
>>What am I missing about the setup of labadmin to be able to have it logon
>>everywhere, and have appropriate scripts run?
>>
>>I've tried:
>>
>>- Moving the logon scripts for sever into the top-level OU (uk-lab), but
>>then those scripts also run on any Computers in Workstation and below.
>>- Moving the labadmin account into Servers. But then I'm unsure if
>>labadmin is still able to logon to Workstation accounts. And how would
>>logon scripts run?
>>
>>I just can't work out which OU to put labadmin in. Whichever OU I move him
>>too i think he'll not be able to log into the other. obviously I've missed
>>something simple ??
>>
>>Adrian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Using group assignments? Permission filtering the GPO comes to mind.