LaCie 12big Thunderbolt 3 DAS Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your available storage for raid 50 and 60 are wrong. In both cases you double the available data by counting both sides of a mirror when you can only write to one.

Your wrote:
Raid 50 60/12
Raid 60 48/24

While the correct values are:
Raid 50 30/6 x 2(mirror) or usable data of 30tb
Raid 60 24/12 x 2(mirror) or usable data of 24tb

@BJORNL

You're thinking of RAID 51 and 61 (very rare, to say the least). In raid 50, it's not a mirror, it's a RAID 5 array of RAID 0 arrays. The RAID 0 arrays have two drives worth of capacity, and you lose one of those arrays to the RAID 5 array. The numbers in the article are correct.

Dec 25, 2017
Hi, can somebody explain why the distinction between DAS and NAS? Why not pluggin in a GigE port on a DAS and make the same piece of hardware suitable for bot DAS and NAS? I can't imagine how a GigE card would change the price of a 2K system...
I realize that the scenarios are a bit different, but I don't understand the practical advantages, from the manufacturer's perspective, to distinguish.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

That really is the main difference between a DAS and a NAS. DAS is Direct Attached Storage, as in via USB, TB, etc. It connects to a host system and is used only by that system. NAS is Network Attached Storage, has it's own operating system, and is only connected to a network via whatever networking protocol is being used. It can be accessed by any other computer system on the network (assuming proper permissions and logins).

Now, you can take a DAS unit like this, connect it to a computer, and present that on a network as a NAS. So - you have a NAS made up of one (or many) DAS units. Theoretically you could take a TB card which has two TB3 ports per card, put it on a low cost motherboard which has x8/x8, and attach 4 of these to it for 400TB+ of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.