[SOLVED] LaCie 4big Quadra U LED Status Indicators

Jul 12, 2019
I have a LaCie 4big Quadra U. This has been running fine for years. Then about a week ago, upon initial start up, each of the drives initializes in sequence as expected. After all four of the drives have booted and are initialized (all solid blue), their are a serious of 11 clicks and then the front LED blinks blue (on/off) and all of the rear LEDs remain lit solid blue. It's currently configured in RAID 5. This tells me that all of the HDs are fine. However this LED configuration does not match any of the scenarios in the manuals. Additionally my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) running macOS Mojave (10.14.5) no longer sees the Quadra any more.

Assuming that this could be a housing failure? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Well the LaCie doesn't have good software for this. You may end up removing 1 drive at a time and seeing if the 11 clicks stopped. That would identify the drive. The rebuild should kick off automatically once the drive is replaced.
Jul 12, 2019
It could be that one of the drives has come ready but is reporting a bogus ID.

For example, Seagate drives with head/media faults typically click 11 times and then spin down. They then report a model number such as ST_M13FQBL, serial number QNR_BFW and a reduced capacity of 3.86GB.

https://forum.acelaboratory.com/viewtopic.php?t=7666
How would you identify which of the 4 drives is the culprit then? Since they are configured in RAID 5 shouldn't I just be able to pull the bad drive (once positively identified), replace it and have the Lacie rebuild the new drive?

popatim

Titan
Well the LaCie doesn't have good software for this. You may end up removing 1 drive at a time and seeing if the 11 clicks stopped. That would identify the drive. The rebuild should kick off automatically once the drive is replaced.

Solution
Jul 12, 2019
Identified the 4th bay as the failing drive. Replaced with a brand new HDD and problem solved. Thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS