Lacie 8TB Porshe design external HDD has much slower write speed when connected to my laptop than desktop.

Thanh_5

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
I have recently bought a Lacie 8TB Porshe design external HDD, model P9233, from Mwave when they were on sale.

Upon testing using crystal disk mark, average sequential write speed when connected to my laptop is around 68-72 MB/s. Actual speed when copying a 2.5GB .mkv from my internal SSD is typically around 45 MB/s-50MB/s. Both are way too slow for an HDD of this size.

However, when connected to the desktop, the tested write speed with crystal disk mark is around 120 MB/s - 135 MB/s, the actual transfer speed of the same .mkv from an SSD to the Lacie is 65-80 MB/s, which is closer to the speed expected from such drive.

I also have a 4tb WD element that tested to have the same speed connected to my laptop and desktop right after the test done on the Lacie to make sure the usb 3.0 ports on my laptop is not damaged. I also swapped the cable of the WD element and the Lacie and see no difference in result.

I wonder what caused this.

The HDD inside the Lacie is ST8000DM004 if that helps.

Thanh_5

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017

The HP laptop has a newly installed Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, the desktop computer uses a Samsung 960 EVO Nvme SSD. I doubt that any of those drives limit the performance of the external drive.

Thanh_5

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017

I'll give that a try.

Also, there seems to be a firmware update for the Lacie for Windows, but I hasn't been able to install it, the .exe file when open says:" No compatible Lacie device were found. Please plug a compatible Lacie device".
The current installed firmware indicated by SeaTools is 1053.