LaCie CloudBox Stores Data Locally & in Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
...or, I could just have my data happily humming beside me in a RAID 10 array, and not give these people any of my money whatsoever. That sounds like a better plan to me. I've got bigger things to worry about if my system spontaneously combusts.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]It is expensive, $100 a year for 100 GB. Well, cloud services will get cheaper with time hopefully. Nice concept though![/citation]

well its an offsite backup, and you have to imagine that there are at least 3 mirrors of the data on their servers, so its realistically 300gb of storage and 200gb of that is redundancy.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I guess the 8Tb of storage I have in a big fat dedicated NAS would take between 6.5 and 13 years.

Cloud storage may be a good idea in principle but face it, as soon as someone gets over 1Tb of data the time to upload it makes using the Cloud an unfeasible option until internet speeds go up by a factor of at least 100.

G

@someguynamedmatt
RAIDs do not protect data in case of a fire or if data corruption (such as a virus) which only offsite storage does

G

For $100/year you can buy approx 3 100 GB hard drives, make copies of your data, and store them at your friend's house.

I realize that this is a poor comparison, as what you are paying for is obviously not storage space, but the convenience of having a completely automated off-site backup solution. This is obviously good for data that is being worked on / updated very often, but probably a poor choice for static types of content such as collections of photos or music.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I guess the 8Tb of storage I have in a big fat dedicated NAS would take between 6.5 and 13 years.Cloud storage may be a good idea in principle but face it, as soon as someone gets over 1Tb of data the time to upload it makes using the Cloud an unfeasible option until internet speeds go up by a factor of at least 100.[/citation]

I'm not arguing for against the cloud, but really it's not the cloud that is the problem, but the network connection to get there. Here's hoping that bandwidth will increase for a lower price at some point soon, or cloud adoption will be difficult to sell to the masses.

The $100 for 100GB seems a bit high myself. Again, hopefully the cost will come down over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.