LaCie Offers USB 3.0 HDDs and a Strange Monkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

infodan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
"Your satisfaction is our eternal pursuit"

I'll be satisfied when you stop spamming your shit on toms comments, thanks.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Like the initiative, but in the computer store I work I see too much LaCie stuff coming back because it's broken. Due to dutch warranty laws, we have decided to scrap the entire line of LaCie products that tend to break.

Generally only problematic with their network drives though, but sometimes the USB drives come back too, but no more than any other tbh.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Like the initiative, but in the computer store I work I see too much LaCie stuff coming back because it's broken. Due to dutch warranty laws, we have decided to scrap the entire line of LaCie products that tend to break.Generally only problematic with their network drives though, but sometimes the USB drives come back too, but no more than any other tbh.[/citation]

kudos for dutch laws

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Humans think[/nom]kudos for dutch laws[/citation]Any electronic device that is not expendable, shall be covered for a minimum of 2 years warranty by the retailer, regardless of the manufacturer warranty.

This basically means if you buy something with 1 year warranty, and it breaks in the second year, for the consumer the effect is just 2 years warranty, but the retailer has to pay for the repair costs in the 2nd year.

It's a good system, but it's driving prices up a little bit.

Fortunately not very many people know this, and we only need to tell them if they ask so it doesn't bother that much.

Happens a lot that people come to us with laptops that break in the 2nd year, and ask us to repair them, even though they did not buy them at our store. In that case I love telling them to go to the retailer they bought the laptop at and use the 2 year argument. They then cannot refuse. Makes customers smile when they hear this.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
sorry that was quite irrelevant to the article.

Anyways my experience with LaCie warranty is not bad, half the time here in the Netherlands they repair their drives free of cost regardless of them being outside the warranty period...

Status
Not open for further replies.